Exterior Masonary Paint...What to add to change Colour?

Hi Are there any additives you can put in White masonary paint to change the colour to yellow or red or blue...Wickes and B&Q dont seem to sell coloured paint so i was wondering if you can add anything to white? Thanks...

Reply to
Cal Mac

If you go to any paint outlet, or maybe even B&Q, you can get paint dyes, ochre, blue and red, amongst others....I have used them hundreds of times in masonry paint, emulsion, undercoat and gloss, but beware, they are very strong - half a teaspoon full of red for example will turn 10l of white into a pale red, not pink as you might expect...add one drop at a time.

Reply to
Phil L

Go to a proper shop, they will make/get you any colour you want, at a price of course.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Red is iron oxide, as long as you like it muted red. For colours like broken white and browns one can use a small amount of clay. With strong bright colours you're looking at synthetic pigments and will need to buy those.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Go somewhere that has a proper paint mixing machine and pick whatever color you want.

My BM has a machine for mixing Sandtex..and the range of shades is enormous, and it costs nothing extra.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh fer chrissakes..you can get any shade from breathless banana to faded soot using modern stable synthetic pigments mixed to your choice at the point of sale by the correct machine.

AND the things are repeatable. I had two batches and could not tell them apart.

The secret is to NOT buy at a DIY shed. Just buiy from a builders merchant of quality.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The OP didnt want to waste money on a new batch of overpriced paint. Why would one buy again if you've already got what you need?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You used to be able to buy "universal tints" in a tube. Basically earth colours predispersed in a paste. Uniform dispersion is the difficult bit if you use the raw pigments.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hand held kitchen blender. Would cost to use one on oil paints though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sandtex definitely do a range of coloured masonry paint, stocked at my local B&Q last time I looked.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Because you obviously HAVEN'T got what you need?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More expensive to buy than a new tin of paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. And a mixing machine to dispense them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

?? I was talking about the pre-mixed stuff

David

Reply to
Lobster