Exterior insulating wall cladding?

Page 2 of 2

According to David Olivier, one the best eco architects in the UK, this house is the best e,g., of an existing house being ecoised.
http://www.msarch.co.uk/ecohome/tour.html

It is an old idea, curently getting a bit of a revival. It is a cost effective option for larger commercial buildings, or where internal work is to be avoided.
The insulation is glued or mechanically fixed to the external wall, and then a render, or brick slip coating is fixed to give the weather resistance.
I can't recall any names, but their are a good few propiatary systems available. Do a google search.
You may need building and planning approval.
dg

NickW wrote:

100mm rockwool type slabs held on the bighead bonding fasteners and galv steel perf matting to hold the polythene sheeting over/give a good surface for the render to stick into, rendered over with a water proof layer painted with sandtex.... Thats how a lot of new build (rebar/concrete walls) here is now being done.
Niel.
NJF wrote:

Where is 'here'?
that sounds a pretty good technique actually.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Uni of Soton.
NJF wrote:

Do you mean southampton university? Famous for its fluid dynamics courses?
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its "The University of Southampton" now to stop confusion with the *university sector* southampton institute.....Apparently.
Niel.

"to stop confusion with the *university sector* southampton institute". What does this mean?

IMM wrote:

Used to only be able to dish out diplomas, C&G courses etc. Now hands out degrees in pottery etc.
--
Toby.

I got my HNC Electronics at East Park Terrace (Six Dials - close to where St Marys footie club is today), which I think in recent years has been awarded University/degree status. Or am I wrong?
30 years ago Soton Uni campus was just off the Avenue as I recall. I guess it is still there.
PoP
PoP wrote:

of degree's that is also being talked of by those with more knowlege of the place) that has caused the Uni to ensure when it re-branded itself it was clearly "The University of Southampton", so its not so easily confused with "Southampton institue, a university sector college", as most people only read Southampton and university loosing the institue, sector and college....

and the Winchester school of art (another site that may also be closed).
Niel.

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:10:34 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net wrote:

Gosh, showing my age a bit here. La Sainte Union was a girls school 30 years ago wasn't it? Never did know much about it, but there were some girls from the school who used to travel on the same bus as me into Southampton as I recall.
Somewhere at the end of the Avenue if memory hasn't totally deserted me after all these years.
PoP

Fabulous!

Interesting. Let me see if I have this right: - layer of rockwool - layer of polythene - layer of steel mesh - render
But isn't the surface too flexible and the render would crack if something fell against it?
NickW wrote:

Its basically similar to my house actually.
Mine is , from the inside
Plaster skim Plasterboard Studs/rockwool Marine ply cladding for extra structural strength Breathable membrane Airgap/battens (open at house base) Render mesh with drip bead at base Render. Sandtex.
Its something you COULD smash with s sledge allright - in fact a sledge would get you into the house in under 20 minutes I reckon :-) but its tough enough for weather and laning bikes against etc.
I think its about 75mm of render in all.

brick and is facing the North Sea!! Looking around the various manufacturers on the net most seem to use polystyrene held on to the walls using expanded metal mesh and studs /wall bolts, then plastered over. They claim this meets various fire standards. If you look at the knauf insulation site they have a description for using their cavity board in this way. If you wonder why we are going for external it's because, the bricks are old reds going soft and absorbing water in the winter, all the rooms have fancy plaster mouldings round the ceiling edges and I don't wish to lose room space as the biggest is only 14 ft Square. The Q
The Q wrote:

I'd say you are onto something then.
Just be careful about any damp getting into the bricks: It won't evaporate out with a huge wedge of styrene over the top. If you have a naff DPC, or no DPC, you couild end up with it evaporatng inwards. Nasty efflorescence and crumbling plaster.
Likewise look carefully at how you seal teh top against leaky guttering etc.
Unless you already have a big overhang on the roof, you may need to extend the roof somewhat as well.
BUT, coupled with new DG windows (you will need to move windows out, or put a secondary frame anyway) on the face of it it sounds like a recipe for instant cosiness. Do the reserach, and if satisfied the window/door/roof and damp issues are all satisfactorally sortable, I'd say go for it.

snipped my and Nicks bit

The Q

At 1" it will have to be high performing Celotex or Kingspan.