Exterior insulating wall cladding?

Page 1 of 2
My house has no cavities in the walls. I'd like to line the outside with something insulating (and weatherproof of course). I'd prefer not to have to render it but will do it if necessary. What do you recommend?
Nick
(please don't email - it goes to a dead account)
NickW wrote:

Honestly, it would coast more than doing the inside. The trouble is to take the weathering, you need something tough, and to be touggh *generally* means not to be a good insulator.
I'd go for dry lining with some sort of foam board frankly, on teh inside.
If major structural work is indicated for other reasons, I have seen separate walls constructed on the inside (of stone and brick houses) or on the outside of wood frame houses, to both prop up crumbling structure, and to provide heat and damp barriers.
These can be insulated to normal standards.

A good approach is to line the outside of a house with Kingspan insulation, put batons over the insulation to avoid cold bridging, and screw through the insulation into the bricks behind. On the batons clad in timber. Install new triple glazed low "e" windows and the whole house looks totally new. You can have stained coloured timber, natural timber (maple) etc. A sorry looking Victorian house near me was done like this and the difference is remarkable. Later they re-roofed it and installed wider roof overhangs. They also dug down around the foundations and agains the foundations walls fitted foam insulation to prevent heat seeping into the cold ground around. The house really does look the part and very low heating bills.

What part though?
This sounds like people who "stone clad" an Edwardian mid-terrace to "make it look better". Completely inappropriate.
At least this is functional as well, so there's some excuse, otherwise it's tantamount to the aesthetically pleasing painting the bricks bright red and the mortar white, Play School approach.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

not
insulation,
the
Install
You
walls
around.
All of the parts.

A "detached" property that looked crap ended up looking brilliant. The ST recently did a piece on updating the exterior of homes, and they rise in price substantially if done correctly.

A lot of excuse.

Don't be silly. What do want people to do? Clad in graffiti sprayed concrete slabs to make it look like a Sarf Landan sink estates.

Hmmm....
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

.... and that's a big "if"

Leaving it alone would be good......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

A die of sold and damp and no style whatsoever. Fancy dying without style!

IMM wrote:

Hmm. Now I know why mny snotty uni insisted I be able to speak English and even write it before they let me in.
Does anyone have the FAINTEST idea what a 'die of sold and damp' is?
I can understand the undoubtedly recursive reference to 'no style whatsoever' given the identity of the poster...

Chaucer, I think.
:o)

And die of cold and damp and no style whatsoever.

IMM wrote:

Ah. Been looking in your crystal ball again, have you?

You plainly have no style whatsoever.

IMM wrote:

Mmm. But I doubt I will die of it.

What! I have seen some people at parties more than die having no style.

Hmmmm, just one thing, when being pedantic you should try not to make your own spelling mistakes .............
David Hemmings wrote:

Which one was that then?

.... why mny snotty ......
i lost count a long time ago the number of times a pedant post needs itself to be corrected ;)
David Hemmings wrote:

That wasn't pedantry, so much as 'complete confusion' AND being pedantic, typograhic errors are not spelling mistakes.

Whilst it certainly wouldn't win a diamond badge for plain english, it was certainly clear what was meant, if written somewhat badly.
How was i to know it was a typo, only the person who typed it would be able to say they KNEW what they wanted to type ....... ;)
Here is a good example of some simple typos people make
http://cwis.livjm.ac.uk/lan/teaching/japanese/GIFS/spmis1.gif
Besides, i was only ribbing you.
Learnt today one good reason not to leave your little finger between two pieces of 4x2 hardwood that you are banging together, f*ck does it hurt :)

Would be singularly inappropriate for Nick W's house tho.
Regards, NT