Exterior insulating wall cladding?

My house has no cavities in the walls. I'd like to line the outside with something insulating (and weatherproof of course). I'd prefer not to have to render it but will do it if necessary. What do you recommend?

Nick

(please don't email - it goes to a dead account)

Reply to
NickW

Honestly, it would coast more than doing the inside. The trouble is to take the weathering, you need something tough, and to be touggh

*generally* means not to be a good insulator.

I'd go for dry lining with some sort of foam board frankly, on teh inside.

If major structural work is indicated for other reasons, I have seen separate walls constructed on the inside (of stone and brick houses) or on the outside of wood frame houses, to both prop up crumbling structure, and to provide heat and damp barriers.

These can be insulated to normal standards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is an old idea, curently getting a bit of a revival. It is a cost effective option for larger commercial buildings, or where internal work is to be avoided.

The insulation is glued or mechanically fixed to the external wall, and then a render, or brick slip coating is fixed to give the weather resistance.

I can't recall any names, but their are a good few propiatary systems available. Do a google search.

You may need building and planning approval.

dg

Reply to
dg

100mm rockwool type slabs held on the bighead bonding fasteners and galv steel perf matting to hold the polythene sheeting over/give a good surface for the render to stick into, rendered over with a water proof layer painted with sandtex.... Thats how a lot of new build (rebar/concrete walls) here is now being done.

Niel.

Reply to
NJF

Where is 'here'?

that sounds a pretty good technique actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Uni of Soton.

Reply to
NJF

Do you mean southampton university? Famous for its fluid dynamics courses?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interesting. Let me see if I have this right:

- layer of rockwool

- layer of polythene

- layer of steel mesh

- render

But isn't the surface too flexible and the render would crack if something fell against it?

Reply to
NickW

Its basically similar to my house actually.

Mine is , from the inside

Plaster skim Plasterboard Studs/rockwool Marine ply cladding for extra structural strength Breathable membrane Airgap/battens (open at house base) Render mesh with drip bead at base Render. Sandtex.

Its something you COULD smash with s sledge allright - in fact a sledge would get you into the house in under 20 minutes I reckon :-) but its tough enough for weather and laning bikes against etc.

I think its about 75mm of render in all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its "The University of Southampton" now to stop confusion with the *university sector* southampton institute.....Apparently.

Niel.

Reply to
NJF

I've been researching this one myself on the net as our house has single brick and is facing the North Sea!! Looking around the various manufacturers on the net most seem to use polystyrene held on to the walls using expanded metal mesh and studs /wall bolts, then plastered over. They claim this meets various fire standards. If you look at the knauf insulation site they have a description for using their cavity board in this way. If you wonder why we are going for external it's because, the bricks are old reds going soft and absorbing water in the winter, all the rooms have fancy plaster mouldings round the ceiling edges and I don't wish to lose room space as the biggest is only 14 ft Square. The Q

Reply to
The Q

I'd say you are onto something then.

Just be careful about any damp getting into the bricks: It won't evaporate out with a huge wedge of styrene over the top. If you have a naff DPC, or no DPC, you couild end up with it evaporatng inwards. Nasty efflorescence and crumbling plaster.

Likewise look carefully at how you seal teh top against leaky guttering etc.

Unless you already have a big overhang on the roof, you may need to extend the roof somewhat as well.

BUT, coupled with new DG windows (you will need to move windows out, or put a secondary frame anyway) on the face of it it sounds like a recipe for instant cosiness. Do the reserach, and if satisfied the window/door/roof and damp issues are all satisfactorally sortable, I'd say go for it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"to stop confusion with the *university sector* southampton institute". What does this mean?

Reply to
IMM

A good approach is to line the outside of a house with Kingspan insulation, put batons over the insulation to avoid cold bridging, and screw through the insulation into the bricks behind. On the batons clad in timber. Install new triple glazed low "e" windows and the whole house looks totally new. You can have stained coloured timber, natural timber (maple) etc. A sorry looking Victorian house near me was done like this and the difference is remarkable. Later they re-roofed it and installed wider roof overhangs. They also dug down around the foundations and agains the foundations walls fitted foam insulation to prevent heat seeping into the cold ground around. The house really does look the part and very low heating bills.

Reply to
IMM

Used to only be able to dish out diplomas, C&G courses etc. Now hands out degrees in pottery etc.

Reply to
Toby

I got my HNC Electronics at East Park Terrace (Six Dials - close to where St Marys footie club is today), which I think in recent years has been awarded University/degree status. Or am I wrong?

30 years ago Soton Uni campus was just off the Avenue as I recall. I guess it is still there.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

No, your right, but its their poor financial management (and the selling of degree's that is also being talked of by those with more knowlege of the place) that has caused the Uni to ensure when it re-branded itself it was clearly "The University of Southampton", so its not so easily confused with "Southampton institue, a university sector college", as most people only read Southampton and university loosing the institue, sector and college....

Yes and at Chilworth, in the Docks, La Sante union site (soon to close) and the Winchester school of art (another site that may also be closed).

Niel.

Reply to
sue.fagan

snipped my and Nicks bit

period next summer (can we have another one like this please!)

inch) round the window openings to cover all the brick.

The Q

Reply to
The Q

What part though?

This sounds like people who "stone clad" an Edwardian mid-terrace to "make it look better". Completely inappropriate.

At least this is functional as well, so there's some excuse, otherwise it's tantamount to the aesthetically pleasing painting the bricks bright red and the mortar white, Play School approach.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

All of the parts.

A "detached" property that looked crap ended up looking brilliant. The ST recently did a piece on updating the exterior of homes, and they rise in price substantially if done correctly.

A lot of excuse.

Don't be silly. What do want people to do? Clad in graffiti sprayed concrete slabs to make it look like a Sarf Landan sink estates.

Reply to
IMM