Exterior gloss?

Any views on best exterior paint for woodwork, fit for 4+ years of Scottish weather? Have used international paints in past, but not that impressed. TIA for any advice

Reply to
suffol

Dulux Weathershield? Try a builder's merchants, I seem to remember not finding it in the DIY sheds. Expensive though.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I was pretty happy with the Dulux Weathershield stuff I used. I do think for this sort of usage then it pays to use the full system

Reply to
chris French

In message , andrewpreece writes

I've got it from the sheds.

Note that 'Trade' and 'Retail' versions of the paint aren't quite the same. In particular I noticed the claimed life for the Trade version of the system is a bit longer, and the undercoat was some sort of oil based rather than water based acrylic.

Reply to
chris French

Aah yes! That was it. I think the trade version says 8 years for life, whereas the retail stuff is less. I went for the trade version, got it at my local builder's merchants.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

My little tip for painting, apart from using the full paint system as Chris says ( it's tedious though ), is to radius off all sharp edges on any woodwork, as that seems to be a weak point for paint to crack.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

The paint industry has caused an enormous problem. Modern alkyd paints are waterproof. When the paint cracks water can get in and wet the wood but the waterproof paint stops the wood drying easily. The higher moisture content of the wood allows it to rot and the paint lifts off the surface of the damp wood. Unless the wood is regularly repainted, before cracks develop, you will be left with flaking paint and rotting timber. Paint used to be made out of linseed oil and pigment and not much else. Real linseed oil paint is vapour permeable. If water gets into the wood it can dry out quickly. The bond between paint and wood remains intact and the wood remains dry enough to prevent rot. No flaking, no rotten timber. To use linseed oil paint first coat the bare timber with a thin coat of linseed oil. Leave for a couple of days. Then apply three coats of linseed oil paint as thinly as you can, allowing two or three days between coats. Only do this during the summer months. In seven years time give the work another coat of linseed oil. After a further seven years add another coat of linseed oil paint. Keep up this 14 year cycle forever, rembering to instruct your grandchildren. Disadvantages of real linseed oil paint:- Only paint in warm weather. Professionals don't like it because they can't paint in the morning, put another coat on in the afternoon and move to a new job tomorrow. The manufacturers don't like it because you only buy enough to add one coat every 14 years. That is not good for commerce. Not many shops sell it. Advantages of real linseed oil paint:- It lasts a very long time, never flaking and keeping the wood dry. There are no volatile componants. It sets by oxidation rather than drying. It is made from sustainably grown oils not petroleum. It is non-toxic. Brushes and hands can be washed in soap and water. It smells lovely and looks great. Where can I get it? The biggest manufacturer is Allback, a Sweedish company. It is imported by Holkham Paints. Smaller ammounts are made in England by The Real Paint and Varnish Company. Links:-

biff