exterior flourescent light fitting

Hi I would like to put a four feet fluorescent light above my front door I was wondering if you can get exterior ones and where to get one. Thanks from Eddie in Glasgow..

Reply to
eddie

Electrical wholesalers have them, but normally to order.

You can get fittings with a polycarbonate base and a diffuser that clips on together with a seal. They are IP65 rated and the polycarbonate means that they are reasonably impact resistant as well

An example is RS Components rswww.com part no. 431-4533

But ask a wholesaler as you can get better pricing

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is it totally exposed to the elements?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Including insect infestation. Intrinsically safe units are meant for gas tight operation, so these are the best units to get for their outdoor IP ratings. Look for something with an IP rating of IP65. They are sold with seal packs of washers and stuffing glands to keep everything out of the fitting. Even if the cable entry is to be made through the back of the unit to hide the cable, make sure you seal it from the elements and insect infestations.

Reply to
BigWallop

I was just pondering - as you do - that a 4 foot fluorescent totally exposed above a front door would look hideous. If, however, it was within a porch of some sort where you only saw the light from it, fine. But then wouldn't be exposed to the elements. I've got four 2 ft ones exactly like this, but they're ordinary tubes behind a custom made diffuser - with the electronic ballasts indoors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So the working are not really exposed to the weather then? If the whole fitting where to go outdoors, then it's best to make it a sealed unit to stop the weather and insects from getting in (moths and other creepy crawlies attracted by light). But if it's just the tubes on the ends of bits of cable from internal electrics, then the moths go to the light and not the workings.

The tubes themselves are basically safe to use in a sheltered position, but heat and electrics in an exposed site will attract all sorts of things to nest and lay in. Once the inside of a fitting becomes infested it gathers more and more moisture through the litter left behind, which isn't a good thing.

Reply to
BigWallop