Extension to side of house. Electrics

I have built a Garage on the side of the house, If i extend the ringmain and the one of the lighting ccts into the garage for some sockets/lighting.

Does this come under Part P.

Thanks

Darren

Reply to
darren_forward

I wouldn't extend the ring main, even if you are allowed to. Put in a new circuit with a 10mA RCD.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

The strict answer is yes is does, and ignoe the crap advice above, unless the garage has a swimming pool in it. However a seperate circuit from the house is a good dea, just not on a 10mA RCD.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

However, that would definitely come under prat P, the former would not, but is less safe, so prat P (AKA 2jags) strikes again, resulting in a less safe system.

Reply to
<me9

May I ask why you think this?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I don't know what Stephen has in mind, but IME 10mA RCDs are only useful where they are supplying a single appliance, and since you might want to run multiple appliances in your garage, that would be inappropriate. If you want to run a fridge or freezer in there, I would lay on a non-RCD protected supply just for that too.

I use a 10mA RCD (RCBO in fact) for my outdoor sockets, and they only get the lawn mower or hedge trimmer used singularly.

I used them in another house on each of two separate circuits, boiler in the bathroom, and a fan heater in the bathroom. One significant part of the reason in that case was I had them laying around unused, because their possible uses are rather limited.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I believe they are mainly intended for use in laboratory circuits or possibly farm circuits.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

All house wiring comes under Part P, it's just that some things are not notifiable work. The test & certification requirements of BS 7671 apply to all work, whether notifiable or not...

Reply to
Andy Wade