extension plans may have to be 2006 regs

My extension application has been delayed (don't ask !) and I may have to revise for 2006 regs. The new regs are mainly for energy I believe. So ... What are the new values for windows (now U-value 2.0) and roofs (now U-value 0.2). Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You may well ask. The new regs come in on April 6 but have yet to be published. There is a draft version on the ODPM website but the Architects' Journal of two weeks ago said that the final version (allegedly to be laid before Parliament this week) will contain significant differences and no one from ODPM has (AFAIK) has contested this story.

Basically the new regs are much less prescriptive - I'm fully immersed in the new build side at the moment and none of the U-value limits are any tighter than in the 2002 AD. However you have to achieve a 20% reduction in CO2 over a similar building built to 2002 standards. How you get that 20% is up to you: more insulation, more efficient boiler, better windows, solar panel, PV panel etc are all options you can use.

For extensions the most likely rule looks to be that the CO2 from house

  • extension is no worse than house + similar extension built to a particular standard. Thus a high energy extension (e.g. a non-exempt conservatory) will be allowed if you make compensating improvements elsewhere in the house. This formalises an approach already adopted by many LA's for such extensions.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

On the "Today" program on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago, someone from the ODMP was being interviewed about this. My vague recollectin is they were being challenged on why that 20% reduction is being scrapped and why the intention to include all conservatories in building regs has been scrapped.

The interviewer was charging that the ODPM had simply bowed over to the building industry pressure, but the person from the ODPM was very unconvincingly denying this without giving any other reason that I can recall now. Apparently, building trade has said the changes will add substantially to cost of new housing, killing Prescot's £60k starter homes, and whatever body represents conservatory builders has said it will kill that industry as most conservatories will be priced out of reach of their customers.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

All they have to do is change the planning laws and release land for building. Then prices will come down and land will not figure so much in the overall house price. Then more can be spent on the building fabric.

Quite simple really. See:

<
Doctor Drivel

There are lots of special interest groups here. Most conservatories, I would have thought are exempt and for the ones that aren't it is arguable that this is one area where a real tightening down of standards is justified. Meanwhile insulation manufacturers are probably less than happy that mandatory U-values have not been reduced.

For new build the requirement is to be 20% better than a notional

2002 equivalent building. Amongst other things the latter is assumed to have a 78% efficient boiler and a cylinder with 35mm insulation, so put in a condensing boiler and 50mm insulation cylinder and you've done a good bit towards the 20%. Mandatory pressure testing is coming in: the notional building is assumed to have a leakage of 10m3/m2/h at 50Pa, whilst 8 should be deliverable on site with proper quality control, another significant saving. So I wouldn't believe the housebuilders either.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

>Link not broken:

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This is just out. Interesting:

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Summary

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Just put a building notice in now, and tel them you have started

dg

Reply to
dg