Extension costs in London

Hi all I am looking to do a kitchen extension, ground floor, one storey extension in Sarf East Lahndan. I am budgeting about =A31k per sq metre for a builder, about half if I DIY. Is that a reasonable guide?

Thanks again!

Reply to
Flygoalie

Yes, but be aware that populating it with all the must-haves but never-uses that SWMBO will specify can cost as much again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Watching those development programs on the telly, ISTM that it is the male of the species that is the one guilty of specifying all the unnecessary extras into the fabric of the building (the female extras are the ones that come from the soft furnishing department).

tim

Reply to
tim....

The 1k is about right, but I doubt you could half it if you did it yourself - there's a *lot* of materials involved, much of it never seen again, such as foundations, floors and drains.

Reply to
Phil L

or claim refugee status and I'm sure local council will do it for free.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Er No. The materials represents about 30% of the cost BUT you CANT do it all by yourself really.

You need to hire skills in. The skill is to set the terms of engagement so precisely that they don't f*ck up or don't get paid if they do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Better option. Sell up and move north. M1 northbound. Escape from the toilet of the south.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Or you could live under a bridge and spend your time spouting s**te on a newsgroup.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Better option. Sell up and move north. M1 northbound. Escape from the

Do you often reply to trolls Adam?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

No. I usually ignore you.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ummm, that sounds a little low. I'd guess your property prices would be somewhere around 3-5 K per sq m. (i.e. a 1000 sq ft house -> 300k - 500k) While you already have the land, which is a major expense I'd probably cost it at closer to 2k psm, depending on how easy it would be to gain access, and the level of fit & finish you want to achieve. Price info. Some neighbours (not in Sarf East Lunnon), but the leafy 'burbs, get themselves a side-extension. It's single storey, about 3m wide and 7m long

- total cost was around £40k.

(A side effect of a brand new extension is that it can make the rest of the house look a bit shabby, which means it's _all_ got to be redecorated. Or at least: that's the excuse :( )

Reply to
root

snipped-for-privacy@b19g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...

Having done my degree in York, I would *much* rather have stayed up there. Pleasant city, plenty of countryside, not much aggro, affordable houses (in

1990 anyway!).

Trouble is the stupid bastards keep sticking their companies in the south east. IIRC York had one major insurance company and later, MAFF/DEFRA when the rebuilt the old Adams Hydraulics site that was derelict for years.

SWMBO's old, old company did have a sattelite office in Ripon (internet company). But that was tiny.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm tasty.

Reply to