Extending the wires from a light switch.

I recently removed a dividing wall that housed a couple of light switches in them. I want to re-site them behind some wood panelling but the length of wire is short by a couple of feet. Obviously the sensible thing to do is replace the whole length of wire with the correct length but the other end goes up in to the roof space (extension with flat roof) and I have virtually no access to it. Can I use a junction box that would be hidden behind the wood panelling. Although I think junction boxes should be accessible? How else can I join the wiring?

Thanks.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

a) crimp it b) use junction box fopr mechanical grip, have the conductors protrude beyond the screws, and twist them, & solder

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Tabby ( snipped-for-privacy@care2.com) wibbled on Thursday 06 January 2011 02:34:

c) Use a spring-loaded terminal such as Wago connectors or a Hager-Ashley maintenance free lighting junction box

Reply to
Tim Watts

JBs are not really intended for installation where there is no further access (although no doubt there are many installed in such a fashion!)

Crimp and heatshrink is the normal way:

that a small box and one of the newish spring loaded push in connectors like wago. They claim to be maintenance free:

John Rumm

Brilliant. The Wago connectors look ideal. Thanks again to all.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

provide a proper guide. Straightforward instructions and plenty of clear pictures.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nice to know its appreciated!

I did the original draft and photos, but with plenty of refinements and improvements from others later.

(if you want to learn the parentage of any article, click the "history" link at the top).

Reply to
John Rumm

You have more faith in spring contacts than I.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Righto. And you're welcome. Almost the only doccy of any sort that existed at my final job was what I created (I put the lack down to poor management) so I appreciate it when I see it.

Reply to
Tim Streater