Extending my lawnmower cable

I want to permanently extend my Flymo cable: what's the kosher way of doing this? These connectors look a bit unsuitable for use outside, and on a lawnmower...

this beast looks like complete overkill!
was looking for something more like:
but all these type seem to be plug/sockets rather than one-piece connectors.

Alternatively I do have a crimping tool, although I'm a bit scared of it (am never convinced it's making proper safe connections inside the plastic sleeving) and I don't know what I'd do to protect the two crimped-together wires?)

Recommendations please?!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

standard thing to want to do?

Having been mulling this over a bit, what would the experts think to the idea of using one of the above connectors, but before screwing the two halves of the casing together, packing the whole thing solidly with silicone sealant? Better or worse than not using the sealant?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Well, the TLC catalogue has a page full of cable connectors at

which 3 are in the "waterproof connectors" section. Two are the usual "outdoor garden appliance" plug-n-socket pairs (2-pin in tasteful orinj,

3-pin in Goffik Blak); while the 3rd is a barrel with two IP68-rated cable glands eider cider midlbit (IYSWIM). Take your pick (obviously don't use the 2-pin one on 3-core cable)...

HTH, Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

I've joined mower cables (after the usual mower/cable encounters) by soldering them well (stagger the 2 joins by a couple of inches to be extra safe), individually taping up the joints, then taping up the outer well with a good quality tape. Cover up the lot with heatshrink tubing. If the job's done well, you should end up with a strong and waterproof joint that should last.

Disclaimer: Only use this method if you can make good solder connections and finish off to get a good strong, well insulated joint. And you should use an RCD protector for garden use in any case.

Reply to
MarkM

If the only thing providing mechanical coupling between the two bits of cable is the soldering (and tape wrapping), this isn't nearly strong enough for the sorts of tugs an extension cable is prone to. If you're going to futz about like this, you want at minimum to fashion an ingeneous strain-taking device (bit of plastic cut into 'S' shape for the two cable ends, say), so there's something more than the solder itself - which has bugger-all strength in tension - holding the ends together when you walk confidently forward beyond the cable length (as limited by being wound twice around the kennel and once around the kids' bikes).

But smartest of all, use a waterproof connector made for the job: not more than a fiver...

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

... stop messing about with joints and start again with a longer piece of flex.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Better still ;-) Sometimes, though, it makes sense to have a couple of 'medium length' extensions with an 'outdoor' plug-n-socket arrangement to join, so you can use one alone for e.g. 'normal' mowing, but add on the extension piece to trim the hedge at the bottom of the garden a coupla times a season.

But you're right to point out that if you want a long single piece... that's the thing to buy. Flex, at any electrical trade counter, or mail-order supplier (electrical or general) is cheap enough by the 100m reel that there's little reason to tit about with joints.

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Unfortunately not for the OP's problem, because the connector at the mower end is moulded onto the cable.

That takes us back to plan (n-1)... which does work well, using the normal two-pole connectors for most of the double-insulated home & garden kit.

Reply to
Ian White