extending hearth

I would like to install a wood-burning stove in front of an old fireplace but the constructional hearth is not deep enough to provide the required 300mm clearance in front of the stove. would it be sufficient to build a superimposed hearth on top of the old hearth and some of the (suspended) floor ?

if this is allowed/safe then I would ideally like a raised and tiled hearth, so what material could be used to provide a strong and heatproof structure under the tiles ?

Hope that made sense Thanks in advance for any replies

Bob

Reply to
boxsy

Superimposed hearths over combustable materials (which is what you're proposing) are allowed, but the Building Regulations specify is some detail what is permitted.

Simply putting a hearth on to of the wooden boards would not be permitted unless it was very thick, or had a substantial airgap incorporated, or was a type of stove that had been approved as not causing excessive heating underneath.

You might find it easier to remove some of the suspended floor and extend the constructional hearth.

See Approved Document J:

30 - I've needed to look at it myself in the last half hour).

Reply to
dom

More than that, you need 500mm under the floor and 300mm above.

Reply to
visionset

looks like there is an easy 12mm option if hearth temp < 100 deg and after a quick search found that charnwood certify their stoves for this

- so think Ill go for that and save myself some work.

thanks for the link Bob

Reply to
boxsy