extending an embankment

I need to extend a garden by about 10ft, which currently drops down a steep embankment to a lower level 12ft below. The width of the garden is about 20ft.

I could just dump tons of rubble down there, but then I will end up with a slope. I wanted to construct something which would retain the rubble to create a steeper drop.

An initial idea was to create a retaining wall by stacking 'grab-bags' which contained a dry mix of aggregate. I would do the mixing and loading with a mini-digger. I could then backfill with the rubble.

Building a retaining wall with bricks would be another idea, but I think it would work out more expensive in terms of materials and labour.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

There's a name for nets containing largish stones that eludes me at the moment. You may have seen them on motorway embankments. Possibly expensive, but an idea non the less...

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

Gabions

Tony Bryer

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

or perhaps DIY some up using square section wire fencing. It seems the key point is to build gabion wall pitched back at an angle.

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

I have a 1.8m retaining wall, thats part of my house, its not too expensive

Breifly

1.2 m wide 0.3 m thick foundation with 2 steel mesh, and 12mm upright bars, then 2 thickness of 7N blocks with the middle filled with reinforced concrete.

I did this as a DIY project.

A strutrial engineer will design one for your site for a hudred quid or so.

I'd guess at 2 grand total cost, assuming you DIY most of it, and site access is good.

You could use gabions, steel cages filled with rocks. In anycase I'd talk with an engineer. if this lot moves, you will be in deep donkey doo-dah

Rick

Reply to
Rick

You will have to make provision for drainage. Water retained behind something like this can be very destructive. The gabions may be self draining but I would let some other expert declaim on this. If a solid wall is used then drainige pipes incorporated along the base may be the way to go. Consult an engineer.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann