Extending a Wylex standard distribution board.

My meter cupboard (Zedlok) is a metal box set in the hall wall containing incoming cutout, meter, clock, etc. Inside at the top of the cupboard is a built in Wylex standard unit comprising the support bar on two standoff pillars, a dp isolator switch, two double fuseways with plugin mcbs, and a bakelite cover panel. The bar is long enough to add another two double fuseways and the cover panel can easily be altered to suit. Is there anywhere I can get a double fuseway block and busbar extension to add two ways?

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Suggest you contact Wylex technical support:

Tel. 01543 438320, Fax. 01543 438321 e-mail wylex.technical[at]electrium.co.uk

Reply to
Andy Wade

Personally, I would replace the unit with a DIN rail type of the maximum size that can be accommodated. Then RCD/RCBO support will be gained.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle
8> Suggest you contact Wylex technical support:

Thanks for those contact details.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Yes. That would be the best solution but it is a much bigger job. I was hoping for something quick, easy, cheap and temporary.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Further.

I wanted to fit an extra way to the Wylex quickly because I discovered that an extra switch fuse in the cupboard, installed long ago for an Economy 7 immersion heater, was wired to the unswitched incoming live and the switched neutral block, both on the Wylex. I thought the easy thing would be to remove the extra switch fuse and replace it with an extra way in the Wylex. Now I intend to remove the switch fuse connection completely and abandon the immersion heater (later I can consider having the whole set up modernised).

So I need to isolate the mains.

There is an Ampy Reporter 5162M meter and it appears this has a built in isolator to EN60947-3. However there seems to be no way to switch it off and back on again. Does anyone know how to operate this isolator without breaking the main meter seal? The terminal cover has a separate seal.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

so if you turn your CU off and the immersion comes on, the whole install goes live. What genius put that in?

most folk remove the 100A incomer fuse.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Exactly. Some electrician I imagine.

Yes. But when there's an isolator it seems sensible to consider using it.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale