Extending a ring circuit

A friend of mine recently had some new sockets installed in a conservatory. These were fed from a fused spur of the ring mains. They are in 2.5mm on a radial. Is this OK.

Reply to
lee.cartwright

Yes - if fed via an FCU you may have as many as you wish. And 1.5mm TW&E would almost certainly have been suitable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't they have to have a 30mA trip to met current regs? It may be met by an existing trip on the ring but no information was provided.

Reply to
dennis

I suppose if the conservatory sockets are likely to feed things used outdoors they should be RCD protected. You can get suitable ones which replace an FCU if the ring isn't already protected.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK yes, although it limits the total combined load on all the new sockets to 13A. They ought to have RCD protection, but that may be provided for the original circuit anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 15:22:10 +0100, "dennis@home" mused:

Nope.

IT may be a good idea to have an RCD to cover those sockets if it's likely they will be used to power equipment outdoors, but if there is an outside socket by the conservatory doors then only this socket would need to be RCD protected, IMO.

I added the IMO as this could be argued both ways by everyone as the the regs are open to interpretation.

ITYM RCD, rather than trip.

Reply to
Lurch