Extendiing a gate

We've decided to extend the opening of our drive to give easier access for our caravan.

The brick pier at the gate end of the garden wall supported one gate, it has been removed (didn't those 1930's builders do it thoroughly!) and we're debating various ways of utilising the existing 'wrought iron' double gates with the addition of a smaller single gate. A new, smaller, pier is being built about 2' away as I type.

The double gates aren't original, Spouse had to extend them to fit the drive opening when we acquired them. The extensions can be removed with ease.

The double gates have to be able to be opened occasionally for the car, which is used on average not more than twice a week but the single gate would allow pedestrian and scooter access.

We've thought of many combinations but other ideas would be welcome - as would ideas which match ours :-)

Spouse has all the skills necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I would have thought large outer gates on left and right, and a central pedestrian gate, would be the most versatile as well as pleasingly symmetrical. It would give you pedestrian, one gate, one+pedestrian, and

2 gates opening permutations. Hinge the pedestrian gate back against the vehicle gate before opening the vehicle gate and it will reduce the area required for the gate to swing.

The end of the gate(s) can be supported on wheels running on a metal track set into the drive, to reduce the weight on the pillar.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Bet you thought I'd forgotten about this!

So did we :-)

It's not hinged as such, instead it has a rod which goes through two tubes on the larger gate, thus is can be opened, closed against the larger gate or removed completely if required. Can't think why it should be ...

Yes, we'd thought that too but in the event it wasn't necessary. He used reclaimed small section steel for the inside uprights of the small gate, its frame was made from reclaimed hollow steel tubing, even allowing for the distance from the pillar the combined weight isn't as great as that of modern gates.

The pillar is a stout steel one he made years ago, it holds one of our gates and one of a neighbour's. The new brick pier works well too, the whole is very pleasing.

Especially now that he's stripped off all the rust from the original gates, cleaned off all the algae and painted the lot to make a harmonious whole. It's getting a lot of positive comments from neighbours and the proof of the pudding will be on Friday when we take out the caravan :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We used the gate on Friday and Monday, to take out and bring in the caravan.

It was well worth doing!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher