Extended warranty frustration

I know what has failed and I can fix it for less than a beer token, but "because it's insured" I'm not allowed to touch it :(

Have just had an engineer diagnose a "control panel" failure on a 4yr old appliance. Insurance have agreed to the repair, but there are no parts at the manufacturer and apparently no lead time. (well none they are letting on) The part has been modified and they are expecting to have some, just don't know when.

Just ordered the requisite bits to fix the panel rather than replacing the whole thing. Now, how long to wait before I tell SWMBO that I'm fixing it anyway :)

Reply to
Lee

When you run out of clean underpants/teacups. Delete as appropriate.

Reply to
Graham.

Fix it anyway. Don't let on - just comment that you tried it again the other day and it seems to be working again for the moment. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Wonder if that will work for the engineer as well :)

Someone at the factory must have reflowed that switcher chip and swapped out that shonky capacitor, it wasn't me :) :)

Reply to
Lee

So many times I've seen people with insurance fare worse because of it, let alone the premium cost.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

He would probably only swap a board anyway - unlikely to do any diagnosis on it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Update on this, part appears to have been located at the manufacturer and engineer has been booked.

Very true, though in this case there were reasons to take it out at the time. Plus it was quite cheap, the payout for this fault is nearly 4 times the entire premium cost. I'm surprised they agreed to pay out, tbh.

Reply to
Lee