Exposed Wiring to Outside Light

My current outside light was installed with 1mm T+E running to it through an outside porch. Is this generally thought acceptable? It's outside but sheltered. If not then when I replace the light I will upgrade the wiring but what to use? The light does not have a gland for installing armoured cable or conduit. I had thought about using lengths of armoured three core cable and just using the armour for protection with some heat-shrink at each end to render it fairly moisture-proof.

Is there any better way of doing this?

As far as Part P goes the Summer 2006 edition of IEE Wiring Matters seems to imply that outside lights where the cable goes direct from inside the property is not notifiable providing it does not originate in a controlled area.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Generally yes, unless it's positioned so as to be vulnerable to impact damage, or to prolonged exposure to strong sunlight (UV). Neither of those things match the word "sheltered though, so I doubt that you have a problem.

That sounds OTT and in in case you must always earth the armour and use the proper glands.

Hi-tuf is a good choice if you want a tougher outdoor cable for this sort of thing.

As far as Part P goes the Summer 2006 edition of IEE Wiring Matters

That's in the Approved Document now:

"The installation of equipment attached to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon fans) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed outdoor connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation."

Reply to
Andy Wade

Thanks,

I think I will leave it then - as you say it's not exactly vulnerable.

The Approved Document seems to be more explicit than the Wiring Matters article which didn't make it clear that work was only notifiable if it involved "installation of a new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location" rather than just a light on a circuit from a controlled location. That makes a lot more sense.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

On 22 Jan 2007 05:54:16 -0800 someone who may be "Andrew" wrote this:-

Depends on the situation, which you have not described in enough detail for anyone to give a useful opinion.

Er, yes.

Sheltered from what? Wind? Rain? Sun? Rats?

Reply to
David Hansen