Expert on energy saving.

Just noticed my new Panasonic runs the optical output laser even in standby.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They've just read out a post from a listener who seemed to be an even bigger wally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So, just run us through your calculation.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

45p per hour is a three bar electric fire!

I would possible believe 45p per _year_ saved by turning off a number of wall-warts just plugged into the mains socket and not powering something else.

Reply to
alan_m

Depends where the power is coming from and also assumes that man-made CO2 does actually affect the climate. I have yet to see any statistical evidence that this is the case.

Reply to
bert

It did seem bizarre, so I did some measurements on some USB power supplies I found around the house. I found an Apple 2.5 A output iPad charger, a Lenovo 1.5 A charger and a Garmin 2.1 A satnav charger.

With their USB outputs disconnected they all just about took 1 mA from the mains. I put the current consumption for various activities in a pdf at:

Graham Nye

One hour of my time costs approximately £120. Turn off your own damn wallwarts.

Reply to
Huge

Well, and at risk of making a crude generalisation, quite a few influential people believe that 'stupid' assumption to be quite significant and real. Stems from:

What you write bears that out. Of course, in real life you *might* behave quite selflessly.

Sometimes it takes a bit of effort.

My remark was tongue in cheek; even so, bit of movement relative to none

- can't be bad?

Reply to
RJH

In message , harry writes

Well, yes. Trying to calculate how much energy/time I use is irrelevant. I turn off the wart when disconnecting the device. One unfortunate consequence is the utter fury of Wifey, who never thinks to check that the wart is powered, when connecting her devices :-)

Reply to
News

Excellent. I was going to do the same with a real transformer type. Be interesting to see what that takes with no load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So if my maths are correct, 2 units of leccy per year?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What's on page 2?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why don't you look and see?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That would be interesting. I've always avoided using doorbell transformers as I didn't know the quiescent power.

Reply to
PeterC

Have an illuminated bell push. Won't much matter then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did. It looked blank to me. I wanted to know what *he* thought was on page 2.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's blank. The second page is just an artefact of the Excel to PDF conversion (LibreOffice to PDF conversion too).

Honestly. I put it in PDF so people wouldn't have to worry about Excel macros and now I'm hiding the secrets of the Illuminati in blank pages.

Reply to
Graham Nye

Oh well all right. You may pass. But you were suspected by us in the Microsoft Police as one who presses the return key 50 times at the end of their Word Document, as if it were a typewriter. Such miscreants are routinely hauled off to our re-education camps.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I got 2.1 units. Of course, I don't know what the waveform or power factor are like.

There's some fire risk to leaving chargers switched on so I'd regard it as bad practice to leave them switched on when not in use even if they are using minimal electricity.

Reply to
Graham Nye

In message , Tim Streater writes

I don't understand any of this but.... might it explain my annoyance when printing off a pdf from some utility supplier who has admonished me about paper saving, that the second page only contains one line!

Reply to
Tim Lamb