Expensive chimney lining ?

A friend has just had her chimney lined for her( no more than 15kw) gas fire.

Liner type was 316 grade .. double skin .. 10m. The job took 3 hours.

Cost (N. Yorkshire) £822 inc vat .. guaranteed 10 yrs

Does anyone know if that is a fair price?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

sounds ok to me. Why did they use twin wall flue, not necessary for brick chimney and probably impossible do.

sounds ok to me

g'tee probly needs pinch of salt but hey ho

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Mike P wibbled on Thursday 11 February 2010 16:46

My single skin but heavy SS stove liner came in a little (but not much) less for a similar length. The liner was stupidly expensive, the labour cost was such a small fraction of the overall cost that I really couldn't be bothered.

Seems OK.

Reply to
Tim Watts

liner alone would have been close to that price.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

on the
website suggests 10 m of 6" would cost £223, so quite a good return for 3 hours work.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanx to all replies ...........

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2

Describes a completely different, cheap, and usually not allowed, single skinned non stainless non insulated flexible product.

look again

The Natural Philosopher

A hideously expensive business altogether. Here in south east a grand is the ball park figure. Maybe if there were more HETAS practitioners, the price would drop.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You having reading problems again? Everything you've said apart from "flexible" is wrong.

"A twin skin multi fuel flexible chimney liner used for relining masonry chimney stacks. Manufactured in stainless steel, 316 grade inner, 316 grade outer."

That's the stuff they'll have used.

install one of those into an existing chimney...

Reply to
Clive George

he

suggests 10 m of 6" would cost =A3223,= so

plus presumably stove pipe(s) adaptors, top plate cowl, sand cement, new pot? etc?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Not insulated.

Been there, done that.

That's what they want mate. Its a requirement for post 1969 stacks . Bulding regs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

single skin stove liner? solid fuel? wassat then ? gi'us a link :>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

I just searched the online part J here

any ref to "1969" - nothing came up? gotta link?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Can't quote chapter and verse on this, but there's something definitely wrong there. Maybe the stacks I know about are pre 1969 or something, or maybe your understanding of building regs and their application to existing chimneys is wrong (can you cite?), but lining with flexible liner is the norm. Insulation put outside it. The one you pointed to isn't intended for use inside a chimney, but as a nice chimney where there wasn't one there before.

(checks. Yes. According to that site, you are talking bollocks. OP was asking for a chimney liner - that's sold under the section "Chimney liners". You've pointed to standalone flues, not intended to be put inside existing chimneys.)

We had ours done fairly recently for a similar price.

Reply to
Clive George

JimK wibbled on Friday 12 February 2010 17:11

Yes (at least as far as I could see when cut), yes, que, and no I can't.

It was a heavy guage (therefore hopefully long lived) flexible SS liner installed by a HETAS person to meet all required regs.

Uninsulated and single skin - the brick stack had supported coal fires before, but the stove requires a smaller cross sectional area and the stack is probably on its last legs regarding not being leaky to flue gases - but it is still quite capable of withstanding the heat. Which is nice as some of the otherwise wasted heat comes out in other rooms via a warm breast (oooh er)

Reply to
Tim Watts

mmm could be wrong but i bet my troll finding fiver that that's actually a twin walled SS flexi liner - to look at they're not obviously twin walled til you inspect closer and see how they make it....

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

pre 1969 IIRC this is still allowed.

BCO threw it out in my case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe its 1970 then. Or 1968.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"FLEXIBLE FLUE LINER ====================

The circumstances in whch a flexible flue liener MAY be used in a chimney are, if:

  • The liner is in accordance with BS715 1989 and
  • The chimney was built before 1 February 1966, or it is already lined, or constructed of flue blocks in accordance with the approved document." Building regs 2000
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher