Expansion tank

Even if you use it to shoot a Welshman within Chester city limits after sunset?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Only shows how little they know. It is most definitely an offence to possess such a thing unless you have a FAC.

You don't have to take my word for it, you can look up the Firearms Act online.

12 ft lbs is the legal limit at which it requires a FAC; that is way over.
Reply to
Onetap

Only allowed with a (long?)bow after midnight, according to the urban myth.

Reply to
John Williamson

If you hit someone with an AAA projectile, you'll be charged.

With assault and battery, I think.

Reply to
Onetap

Apparently it comes, somewhat mangled, from a 1403 edict of Henry, Prince of Wales, later King Henry V, following Welsh uprisings, who said: "no Welshman, or any person of Welsh extraction or sympathies, of whatsoever state or condition, remain within the walls of the said city [Chester]... under pain of decapitation". They knew how to deal with rioters in those days. :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No, most of the batteries are all dead, and when they are fired they are discharged anyway.

"Where did you get all these batteries?" I asked.

"We went to the dump [council recycling facility] and asked if we could have some old batteries for an art project."

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Gun powder isn't very dangerous, it won't even explode unless you contain it.

Reply to
dennis

Assault *by* battery, surely?

Reply to
John Williamson

I thought they would use a SAM rather than AAA these days?

Reply to
polygonum

No, I'm positive. You'll wind up in a cell.

Reply to
Onetap

I need a plan for this battery projectiled gun so I can have a go.

Reply to
F Murtz

There's not much to it.

There's a 1l fizzy drinks bottle, from the bottom of which a schrader bicycle valve pokes out.

To the top of the bottle is attached an inline washing machine valve, and on the other side of that is a metre of copper pipe for the barrel.

Some sort of plumber's compound has been used to help seal the bottle, which is also liberally wrapped in gaffer tape.

Close the valve, poke a AAA battery with a bit off tape around it down to the bottom of the barrel.

Pump it up with a bike pump.

Even better than a battery in my opinion is to fill the barrel with water and shoot it directly upwards, but mostly they used it for target shooting in the garden.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Crack on; search for spud gun or potato cannon, some of those use hairspray as a propellant.

If you think I'm concerned or care, you're mistaken.

Let us know how you get on. ;-)

Onetap

Fizzy drinks (with CO2 at equilibrium) sit at around 2 Bar so the bottle must be rated much higher than that. 2 bar a bit higher than a central heating system is usually pumped up to.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

.......before they drilled a hole in it.

Reply to
Onetap

Just stirring, I could make much better stuff,I have a powder monkeys license (explosive ticket)and firearms reloading equipment.

Reply to
F Murtz

This one is a he.

Reply to
chris French

I don't think you will!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

My mistake. I'll try to remember :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The health&safety "it'll blow up for sure" aside, I'm not sure this is a good idea for other reasons: That trigger will empty it in one shot, and 10 liters is much more than a little bit of pipe needs. Pumping up a 10-Liter tank to anything like pressure will take a looong time, and not add any power -- it'll just blow out after the battery is gone form the tube.

Two valves, possibly, and a smaller chamber charged from the larger and that released, IYSWIM?

And I'd suggest other ammo, to avoid spreading used batteries around. Glazier's putty (the cheap linseed stuff) works well, though it may need some sort of soapy-water lube, or a sabot of tissue paper. It sticks to the target well. Grapes also work, at least using plastic tubing and compressed air lines.

You might want to point them to a slightly less troublesome form of stored energy, the rubber-band catapult/slingshot. Lest they think this is weak and boring, point them to

-- lots of mayhem based on simple rubber bands.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer