Expanding Foam Problems

I got a canister of expanding foam from Screwfix a few weeeks ago along with the screwin nozzle but only got to using it yesterday to fill in a void where the toilet waste goes through a wall where i had put up plasterboard .It was really just to tidy it up . I found the nozzle had a leak near the trigger end and foam was spewing out so I didn't continue but it seeemed that what foam did come out did not expand much,if at all......does it need to be in a compressed space to work or what .?????..I'l just fill the gap with newspaper and plaster over ...that'll do

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

expanding foam needs a bit of damp to really get going well.

Reply to
mrcheerful

or a canoe

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ah right ...I missed that bit on the instructions....to dampen the area before applying the foam ....

I'll try and get a new nozzle from Screwfix or elsewhere if they sell them seperately ..... thx for that .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

If the nozzle is clogged with the foam then clearing it with acetone is a doddle, if you have a wife/girlfriend, or even use it yourself, nail varnish remover is the same. ;-)

Reply to
Broadback

No.That's not the problem .It is a hole near the trigger part but anyway Screwfix are sending me another can and nozzle to replace it ...

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Nail varnish remover has been ethyl acetate for the last few years. No damn use for anything, compared to acetone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

When I ordered the original can of foam I also got a can of gun cleaner as well as I remember the trouble I had before in getting the stuff off the nozzle ..'orrible stuff it is ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

|On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:26:20 +0100, Broadback |wrote: | |>If the nozzle is clogged with the foam then clearing it with acetone is |>a doddle, if you have a wife/girlfriend, or even use it yourself, |>nail varnish remover is the same. ;-) | |Nail varnish remover has been ethyl acetate for the last few years. No |damn use for anything, compared to acetone.

I have given up using large tins of foam. Cleaning nozzles is too much hassle. I buy cans large enough to do the job and throw them away. :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Not all of it. Plenty of acetone based stuff.

I bought a nice 1/2 liter of acetone yesterday at a trade show from a fiberglass supplier.

The Natural Philosopher

One of the brands comes with a choice of large and small nozzles, so you got two shots. I don't understand why you can't buy a pack of disposable nozzles. It would be much less wasteful of the foam cans.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

When finished using, remove the nozzle, stick something (e.g. wooden skewer) in both ends. Then when dry, pull/twist out the sticks and the foam comes with it. You can then re-use the nozzle. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I can recommend the use of a foam gun, e.g.

only does it mean you can use larger cans over several jobs without having to faff around cleaning/unblocking nozzles but it also give you greater control and accuracy when applying the nasty stuff.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

|> I have given up using large tins of foam. Cleaning nozzles is too much |> hassle. I buy cans large enough to do the job and throw them away. :-( | |One of the brands comes with a choice of large and small nozzles, so you got |two shots. I don't understand why you can't buy a pack of disposable |nozzles. It would be much less wasteful of the foam cans.

Thanks I will have to look out for disposable nozzles :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Post if you find some. I'm sure loads of people would like them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle