Exhaust manifold nuts.

Had to remove a downpipe from the SD1 due to a slight blow where it joined the manifold - and of course a stud sheared. To be fair, it's been in place for perhaps 10 years, due to the stainless steel system. Had some spare new studs, and got the old one out easily enough, but what sort of nuts would be best to prevent this happening again? They're M8. Ebay has lots of brass nuts in M8 - but can't seem to find the double height exhaust ones. Would stainless steel nuts on their own be better than steel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

  London SW

If you can't get the brass ones I'd go for steel 8.8 with copaslip. Not s/s for the reason that it often picks up on the thread.

Reply to
Phil

Why not just use bolts?

No external threads to get manked up through the heat.

Reply to
Adrian

M8? That sound wrong for an SD1.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Quite a bit of the SD1 is metric, apart from major units like the engine, which pre-dates it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The thread that would poke out on the other side of the flange?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, OK. I've mainly worked on engines where the thread's blind.

Reply to
Adrian

It's also difficult enough to get a nut on the stud - let alone start a bolt. Not much room for a hand. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Brass would be best. What size are the very long brass nuts used for clamping monobloc taps to sinks? If they're M8 would they do? [Might only be M6 - I don't have one to hand!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Presumably a V8? IIRC, the 2.3 and 2.6 straight sixes were developed for SD1.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I don't know what the modern life expectancy of an exhaust system is; we've got 17 years and ~250k out of the Toyota's one, and it's just started blowing this winter (it's finally warmed up enough outside that I can go and take a look in the next few days to see if it can be patched or not).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Sounds like it's either stainless steel or aluminized steel. Original ones always seem to last better than replacements. I replaced the entire mild steel system with stainless - which has proved very good value in the long run. But probably not worth it if you change the car every few years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)