Excessive blowing of light bulbs

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:46:34 +0100 someone who may be Owain wrote this:-

I would suggest an experiment with a few energy saving candle bulbs to see if they "always blow".

There are now small golf ball type lights and a host of other shapes available as energy saving bulbs and it would be worth fitting these slowly as a means of not making the electricity meter spin like a catherine wheel.

Reply to
David Hansen

One thing that no one else has raised - which way up are these bulbs? Are they the same way up as the ones that don't die so frequently?

Cap down will not last so long as cap up in my experience.

Reply to
tinnews

Drop them on the floor, they do so quite effectively.

Does it make a difference to the dingy, bilious light from these if you fit them slowly rather than quickly?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cap down, as they all are. And, being as my taste and judgement in buying from Homebase were called into question in an earlier posting, here's a photo - if anyone's interested - of one of the wall fittings

It's not a very good piccie but we took a video diary of the renovations and this is one of the few stills we have.

And no, they are not designed to have lightshades fitted :o)

John

Reply to
John

Er:

At the risk of sounding dumb, and coming to this thread rather late; and having also wondered about that sparking switch idea; never the less:

You say no other lamps have needed to be replaced? Therefore, this person has one box of replacement lamps, going into one fitting: she has not had to replace any lamps anywhere else so how does she know that her box of replacements would fare better in any of the other fittings? Like this, it doesn't sound mysterious at all!

Sounds a simple case of crap lamps; and 60W candle ones are, in my experience very short lived in any case. I expect, you as landlord, started out with better lamps than the ones the tenant has bought as replacements. ______________________

Incidentally, I'd like to be able to replace the candles on our 5 armed 'candelabra's with dimmable CFLs, but checking a price for the Megamans - 5 for ~£75 - I don't think there will be many takers! Shame, because it seems really dumb to use (in our case) 200W, where 35W would have been quite sufficient.

> Thanks John, I reckon that I'll change the switch and see if that improves

Reply to
spamlet

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:13:19 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Repeat your incorrect assertions as many times as you like. They perhaps tell us something about you, but don't tell us much about energy saving bulbs.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:15:44 +0100 someone who may be "John" wrote this:-

should fit nicely.

Reply to
David Hansen

Perhaps he should add "produced by all the examples I have seen to far" to the end of the sentence. Would you be happy then?

It certainly seems to correlate with my experience of them so far - I have yet to find any with acceptable colour rendition. Which is surprising really since there are plenty of strip fluorescents that I find ok.

Give us a brand and model that you think is OK colour wise, and I will specifically go and get one to try. That way I can work out if I have thus far just seen examples of poor ones, or your colour perception is just different to mine.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for that David, I shall let our tenant know about those but it is, of course, her decision in the end. I have to say that I would not go anywhere near them because, as I have said many times in the past in this ng, I absolutely detest the damn things - and I'm quite happy to acknowledge that it's my eyes at fault rather than the lamps themselves, but I find them absolutely useless.

John

Reply to
John

David Hansen typed

Who says his assertions are incorrect? I now have two of these abominations installed on my stairs. I'm in no hurry to buy any more. The light is puky and induces glumness and nausea.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The later ones are markedly better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As I said. later ones are getting better. I am no fan but I have been able to find some that are pretty indistinguishable from normal lamps, but only in the last year or so. Older ones are as you describe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Much as I hate to support Hansen, I've no issues with the colour of these things at all. We now have them in our hall, as well as outside and I put one in the Anglepoise on my desk recently.

They're all Philips ones. 99p from John Lewis.

Reply to
Huge

I find one of the colours in colour printouts is very pale. Apart from that no problems. I /think/ there is one incandescent GLS lamp still in use in this house, but it may have gone.

Reply to
<me9

Oddly the last ones I tried were Philips... (probably about 5 years ago mind you). At the time they took too long to archive useful output, and the colour rendition was just "odd" to my eyes.

Anyone tried any of the GU10 CFLs? We have four of those in the kitchen that might be appropriate for replacement if a suitable alternative was available.

Reply to
John Rumm

Can you recommend a bulb that genuinely does not look dingy and has a decent colour rendition?

Are you willing to fund my trying it?

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:30:11 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Yes.

However, I have no doubt at all that you would claim it was horrible and a small number of people would support you. That would not demonstrate anything about the output of the bulbs.

Reply to
David Hansen

Well go on then!

In particular:

Standard GLS envelope type bulb in BC and ES fittings GU10 mains halogen replacement (does not need to be an exact match form factor)

From my point of view that would depend on what the light from it looks like. I have no "agenda" here - just previous experience of CFLs that lead me to believe they were something I would not want to give house room to. You claim they are better now; ok, so let me know which you think is the best (fast warm up, natural light output without massive gaps in the spectra, equivalent light output to a real bulb etc), and I will try one.

Reply to
John Rumm

So you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is. OK.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would REALLY like a recommendation for a GLS lookalike BC low energy bulb that has an equivalent output to 100W incandescent and good colour rendition. I am more than happy to fund the purchase myself(!) I tried some about 15 months ago and ended up giving them away - now, for a Yorkshireman that means they were really bad! They were Philips. any offers? TIA Ian Please reply to group - email address is not monitored Ian

Reply to
Ian