Exakt saw?

Saw a infomercial thing for this exakt saw this morning

made it look wonderful. I can't help but think it'll not work like they say it will though. The tv ad was really funny though with some bloke picking up a big round saw thing and looking concerned and then grinning at the exakt one.. Well it made me smile anyway.. What do you think? Or have you got one? I think the closing line was "if you know someone doing a renovation then they'll love you for buying them one of these"...

Reply to
mogga

Fantastic device. I've had one for four or five years and I use it for everything. It cuts laminate flooring cleanly and the diamond blade goes through 10 mm porcelain floor tiles with no problems at all.

It is light enough to use one-handed, so you can use the other hand to steady the workpiece.

There are a few points to bear in mind:

You MUST use it with vacuum extraction. Exakt make a power sensing extractor that switches on automatically when the saw is switched on. To my mind, this is not as good quality as the saw - Earlex do something similar that is bigger but better.

The shield around the cutting wheel needs some lubrication to retract smoothly. I rub the guides with a wax candle from time to time.

It takes a bit of practice to judge the length of a cut as you can't see the edge of the blade. There is a scale on the side of the shield that helps.

The HSS blades go blunt pretty quickly, but the TCT and diamond blades seem to go on for ever.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but there used to be two models, the green one made in China, and a purple one made in Germany. I only have the purple one, so I can't comment on whether there is any difference in quality.

Exakt have a web site:

and there are lots of reviews and comments if you search for exakt saw on Google.

Highly recommended!

Hope this helps,

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

I was just about to buy a Fein Multimaster (or a cheaper imitation) when my partner pointed out the advert for the Exakt saw. As I will shortly be tiling the kitchen floor (probably with slate) I was particularly interested in the Exakt saw's claimed abilities for cutting tiles.

I also have some wood flooring to do and had selected the Fein as the most suitable tool to help me with that. I don't want to buy both, so now the question is, which of these would be the best one to buy?

Reply to
Bruce

The Medway Handyman