Everyday Electronics electric guitar

Did anyone here ever make one of these, or know someone who did? Does anyone else even remember it? Just curious.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Do you mean the electric guitar in Practical Electronics (merged into Everyday Electronics) published in the late 1960s?

Reply to
gareth

I'd have thought it was early 70's, but maybe it's the same thing. Weird how you'd actually consider building your own guitar in those days. Nowadays, you'd just buy one.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Does anyone remember the Glissandovibe, I think it was a bit like a Theromin but more tangable IYSWIM. Just a name that stuck in my memory.

Someone remembers it,

Talk about thread drift though!

Reply to
Graham.

I already had guitars, it was just interesting to actually make one.

Reply to
Bod

Vague recollection about such a beast, was it in the 70s? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Back in the 60s Wireless World had an organ as I recall, all valves. I also recall Bryan Cox talking about a project he built for a synthesiser when they first became popular, for his band, so musical instruments were most certainly made back in those days.

Diy Violin anyone :- Brian)

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Yes, it was in the 70s.

Reply to
Bod

Was that the one that had the key contacts as bits of wire dipping into thimbles of anti-freeze such that the slow electrolytic build up of keying current circumvented any key clicks?

Reply to
gareth

My father in law built an organ from one of those mags back in the early

70s(I think), it played and sounded surprisingly well.
Reply to
Bod

People still do, though mostly I suspect it's an assembly job - the Fender "something"-casters with bolt-on necks opened the door for easy assembly of "bitsacaster" guitars.

Reply to
mark.bluemel

Practical Electronics January 1965, used Eclipse button magnets with coils wound on them as the pickups.

There was a later one in the mid 70's, that can be found at

Peter Parry

Reply to
Ronnie

I built one about '75 '76, possibly from Everyday Electronics but more likely Practical Wireless.

Proper keyboard and gold wire based keyboard switches. Trouble is it used MOS divider chips which didn't have static protection and generating all notes mathematically isn't musically correct, So even though it worked quite it wasn't very musical.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I remember one of the mags did a sort of stylophone thing where the keypad was etched into copper clad board, with the help of those etch-resist pens. Quite clever, I thought.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Wow what a link that was.

Are these pdfs just pictures of the pages? If so I won't b bother looking. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Drift further!...

Anyone heard of the Ondes Martenot?, devised in 1928 and influenced by the theremin a short demo here,

and it makes an appearance in Olivier Messiaen's Mighty Turangalîla- Symphonie which is being performed at the Proms this year and is now sold out.

Enjoy;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

They look as if they are pictorial images of the original pages in pdf format.

Reply to
Peter Parry

What were you expecting an interactive guide with 3D / HD multi-media files ?

Reply to
whisky-dave