Everlasting boiler - is this snake oil?

Some time this year my home will need to have a new boiler. Existing is nigh on 40 years old and now barely able to cope. This afternoon I noticed this ad on a webpage.

Never heard of them before and have absolutely no connection with the outfit. Nothing lasts for ever and of course the site makes the most of the plus points.

Any thoughts or comments please. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

is relevant, in part.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

It looks like you are renting a boiler for 8.79 a week. And as their web site gives litle info on the terms and conditions:-)

Reply to
ARW

£456 per year (or more if you have an older system (which they don't define) to rent a boiler seems rather steep. Especially as they can increase the rate each year as they fancy. I can't find out what the minimum contract period is nor what they do with the boiler if you cancel the contract.
Reply to
Peter Parry

A _minimum_ of £8.79 a week and as you say no mention of the minimum contract period. The £8.79 is probably for a straight boiler swap.

Implied is the hard sell by the surveyor for extras like solar panels.

Reply to
alan

And what boiler do they fit?

"In a world where everything is mass produced by machines, our boiler is handmade and built to last. Everlasting Boilers are designed with solid, reliable components made from steel, brass and copper rather than plastic.

The average life expectancy of an ordinary boiler is less than 10 years but with our system installed you'll have a boiler for life. This not only means the boiler will last but it will always run as well as the day it was installed. If anything does go wrong and the boiler can't be fixed we will replace it at no cost to you. "

So it will always work as well as the day it was installed BUT f it DOES break down:-)

Reply to
ARW

400 quid a year depreciation? That would make the life of a 1200 quid boiler 3 years. Or an 800 quid one (probably closer to the average) 2 years.

It looks like the sort of figures Dribble used to quote.

I dunno their boiler, but what they're offering is a sort of rental scheme. Not an everlasting boiler as such. And renting such things has never made any sense at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Their gas savings claims are based on the assumption that you have a crap boiler now. But efficient boilers have been available long enough that this is no longer a reasonable assumption.

Reply to
polygonum

Just plucked out of the air, since gas consumption depends on so many things - not just the boiler design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could probably have a modern efficient boiler fitted, pay for a BG service contract and *still* save money compared to that deal :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Quite - it seems to be designed for those who can't do sums.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How much plastic is in an ordinary modern boiler? The few I have looked at seem to be mostly steel, brass and copper, with some aluminium.

What is the connection between the life of an "ordinary boiler" and "you'll have a boiler for life" and the actual life expecantantcy of their boiler?

Far too much use of weasel marketing words for my likeing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On my Viessmann, the entire bottom tray that contains the electronics and all the electrical connections.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From a general read through this seems priced to pick up people paying a BG maintenance contract of £30+ per month for an old suspect boiler and who have no capital reserves or spare income for a loan.

In that case the price looks quite reasonable - if you can't afford a new boiler, can't afford another loan and you are already laying out most of the money then where else can you go?

For anyone who can finance the purchase and fitting of a new boiler (not via BG) and doesn't feel the need for a maintenance contract from BG then I can't see how this does cost in.

Buy a good quality combi with a 5 year warranty and that covers most of your risk.

A lot may be based on the FUD people feel towards heating systems. Quite a few fear based justifications on the MSE site.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Reply to
David

There has been a complaint about their advertisement, which has been upheld by the ASA. (13th April 2013)

For full details see:-

----------------------------------------------- ASA Adjudication on A Shade Greener Ltd A Shade Greener Ltd t/a Everlasting Boiler Ltd Sterling House Maple Court Tankersley South Yorkshire S75 3DP Date:

3 April 2013 Media: Internet (on own site) Sector: Business Number of complaints: 1 Complaint Ref: A12-217475 Background Summary of Council decision: Two issues were investigated, both of which were Upheld.

Dave Roberts

Reply to
David

the ASA. (13th April 2013)

They have a small print disclaimer as follows - presumably created after the ruling?:

"Everlasting Boilers" is a company name and trademark and is not intended to imply that boilers used by us are everlasting but simply that our "boiler replacement agreement" means that you will never have to worry about your gas boiler again as all repairs, service, boiler supply, installation and maintenance are completely covered by a monthly payment and no upfront or additional costs whatsoever.

Reply to
Lobster