Eveready No. 8 batteries...

Does anyone know if it is still possible to get Eveready No. 8 batteries (they were/are the battery that was a little less than a C cell in diameter, but about 1.5 times the length - nominal voltage 3V)?

I have an old multimeter that has all sorts of ranges and functions you don't seem to find on modern multimeters, but it could do with a new battery.

Reply to
John Rumm

Can't help you with the battery, but I'm intrigued to know what functions they are?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

WRT the battery, I have a feeling I may be able to fit a small 2 x AAA battery holder in the case and use that for an alternative.

Its is an old ICE Supertester 680G (as Maplin used to sell about 20 years ago!). A nice almost pocket sized meter (I have its smaller brother the Microtest 80 in the cupoard as well. I Bought the better meter when I killed the 80 and needed a multimeter to fix it!)

It has (according to the manual) 10 fields of measurement, and 48 ranges. In addition to the normal AC/DC Voltage and Current ranges, it has some quite nice things like a low ohms range accurate to 1/10th of an ohm. Capacitance in various ranges from 50 - 500,000pF, then 0 to

200uF. Reactance detection, frequency meter (limited use since it only measures voltages in the range 160 to 250V). Also direct measurement of output voltages / powers in V and dB.

Nothing that you can't measure by other means given the right kit - but not a combination of ranges you tend to find on modern DMMs.

Personally I find the low ohms and capacitance measurements the most useful, the latter being very good for identifying poorly marked caps.

Reply to
John Rumm

You will do, but not on a 5 quid one. However, your meter wasn't a cheap example either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Low ohms is not too difficult to find, but few DMMs seem to have capacitance measurement ranges...

I suppose it was reasonalbly pricey since I bought it in the early '80s when money was worth more (and I was still at school and sans income!) The ICE kit was also the "top of the range" in the Maplin catalogue at the time.

IIRC I paid about 20 quid for the microtest 80, but only 14 quid for the higher spec 680G. It would have been about 35 ish, but I managed to pick one up in a "managers clearout" that maplin used to used to do from time to time.

Reply to
John Rumm

Both mine do - the old one, a Maplin Gold, and the newish Fluke. They both do temperature, too, which can be useful. The Maplin one will also do a quick check on transistors, while the Fluke gives frequency measurement.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do they still do the Maplin Gold one you have? I just had a quick look in the catalogue and could not see anything that claimed a capacitance range (although one did say "detection" of capacitance - whatever that is!)

Reply to
John Rumm

The one I have is pretty old - maybe 15 years. It was fine until one day I measured mains and it went bang. Not my fault - I was on the correct range, but the brass tracks on the switch had shed some brass 'filings', and the mains shorted across them.

Cleaned it all up and replaced a couple of 'house' transistors that had blown - so not quite sure what they were, and re-calibrated it as best I could.

But treated myself to a Fluke 179 a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...and learned why fused test leads are a good thing(TM).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sounds like how I ended up buying the 680G to fix my Microtest 80. Went to check that mains was getting as far as a transformer, probed the +ve input connection, and then touched the -ve onto the transformer chasis. One bright blue flash and one rather mangled looking probe tip later I worked out I still had the poor thing set to an ohms range!

Nice ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Would probably have worked in this case, but wonder how effective they are for the normal 'wrong range' use - given just how expensive Fluke etc fuses are?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a three volt camera battery Varta cr123A It is 16.5 mm fat and only 34mm long, so if the fatness fits you could just put in a short bit of metal for the gap.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

A little while ago I posted regarding locating these now obscure batteries.

Since Ever Ready, Varta and Panasonic all stopped production they seem to have become extinct in the UK, but they are still available to a degree in Eastern Europe and the Far East, where they are known as 2R10 or Duplex cells.

I contacted a number of battery distributors, and found one who could have them specially made (at £10 each!), but most either didn't know what I was talking about or couldn't be bothered to reply. Apparently GP have started manufacturing an equivalent in the Far East, but they have no plans to distribute then in Europe yet.

Having scoured all the local old fashioned hardware stores (these seem to be the only places that remember what a No. 8 battery is) I found a couple of rather elderly EverReady branded ones, but they were well past the end of their shelf life and soon expired. None of the places I spoke to had been able to get hold of new ones from their usual suppliers for over a year or so. (Which is around about when Panasonic stopped production.) You may have some luck in your little local shops.

Eventually I got a relative in Germany to send some over from there for less than 2 EUR each. (Chinese ones!)

I did toy with the idea of importing a few cases from Hong Kong and seeing if I could sell them on, but couldn't actually be bothered to do anything about it in the end. However, if there really is an overwelming demand I could always look into it again.

Reply to
MAILER-DAEMON

That helps a bit... a quick google on the part number turns up a few possible sources, e.g:

I did toy with the idea of importing a few cases from Hong Kong and

I guess in most applications it should be possible to find an alternative combination of cells that should fit. 2 AAAs side by side are only about 1mm wider than the circumferance of the No. 8. If really pushed for space a pair of AAAAs are even smaller (although they are not that easy to source either!)

A lithium CR2020 button cell might also do in some applications.

Reply to
John Rumm

They aren't so much designed to save the meter, as to save you from from serious burns when you accidently measure the voltage on a 100A supply with the lead still plugged into the current range socket ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Also look at multi-cell packs (like PP9 etc); the 3R12 type contains cells which fit my old Taylor meter perfectly, but aren't available singly anymore.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Both my meters have got internal fuses that would prevent injury if you did that. And I have - although usually on low voltage stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not on most "10A" ranges, on meters that have an extra socket for that.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Energizer zr10 is the old No8 cost about £5-£6 each

Reply to
Mick

Possibly a lot less 17 years ago when the question was posted.

Reply to
alan_m