Ever wondered why your gas bill is so high?

I've just received an estimated gas bill. It shows that I'm =A31200 in arrears. I took a reading from my gas meter and found out that the estimate was low. After calculating the real value, I found out that I should be =A31500 in arrears.

This worried me. I checked and re-checked all my bills and readings that I'd taken over the last few years. Everything seemed to point to the gas bill being massively in arrears.

However, I rechecked my gas meter and was surprised to find out that it measures in cubic metres whereas my gas bill is in hcf (hundreds of cubic feet). This would result in my gas bill being 283% of what it should be.

It only takes five seconds to compare your gas bill units with your gas meter units.

With all the talk of gas price rises, there's much emphasis on changing supplier. So, suppose your gas supplier is lax in checking whether your gas meter is in cubic metres. You'll run up a large bill, get a fright, settle the bill and move to a different supplier. If the new supplier uses the correct units, you'll get a much-reduced bill and feel good that you've moved. Ironically, the original supplier could have had a lower gas price.

Ask your neighbours/family members to do the 'five second check'. I'd be surprised if there weren't a couple with suppliers using the wrong units.

Everyone thinks that suppliers working with estimated readings is a scandal; this is the REAL scandal, if not criminal fraud.

Reply to
ljmeek

presumably every thing installed in the last 40 years is Meters though ?

Reply to
srp

Don't know. Maybe.

If that's the case, though, why are gas suppliers assuming that their meters are reading in hcf and not cubic metres?

Unless, of course, they'd like to get 20 years' profit out of a customer in one year, even if they eventually lose the customer to another supplier. They'd like to say it was an 'honest mistake', where in reality it is incompetence/criminal fraud/weights and measures contravention.

Reply to
LJMeek

Powergen is my gas supplier. The gas meter in my house is at least 30 years old by the look of it. My gas statement shows my "used volume" in units of "hcf" which they then convert to kWh Used using a conversion factor of 1.022640. Does anyone know what "hcf" stands for?

Thanks,

Jake D

Reply to
Jake D

[It's in my original post] hcf=hundreds of cubic feet

Check your meter. If it says it reads in hcf, you're OK. If it reads in cubic metres (m3), you're being diddled by a factor of 2.83.

Reply to
LJMeek

Hundreds of cubic feet, as the original poster stated.

The conversion factor is an average, depending on when the meter reading took place. It will take into account the varying chemical composition of the gas and a deemed temperature at which it is delivered (the meter measures volume, not mass, which would be better).

Reply to
lairdy

Thank you...

Does anyone happen to know the annual gas consumption (in volume) of the average gas-central-heated terraced house in England (or better still, Southern England)?

Thanks,

Jake D

Reply to
Jake D

No, we've had gas meters for longer than that...

Oh, you meant metres...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Unless you're being billed in cubic metres, which I am...

Reply to
Bob Eager

It has the year on it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Mine is dated 1993 and reads in Cu.Ft. It replaced an earlier one that IIRC was in M^3.

Reply to
<me9

The message from Jake D contains these words:

Good grief, the range of normal must vary by a factor about at least three for that. I know people who can get by using sod all 'cos they wear jumpers and have a well insulated house. I've also known people who have the heating on all spring and even early summer because they like to walk round the house mostly naked but will open the windows if it's too hot instead of turning the thermostat down.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes

Really, why, what evidence have you got?

depends if the estimate works in your favour - it's easy enough to give the correct reading.

It would be scandal if loads of people were in this situation, it would be fraud if it was deliberate, but I suspect it was just a c*ck up of some sort along the way

Reply to
chris French

When we moved into our one home in late 1998 there was a pre-payment meter in there, as British Gas the then current provider there was meant to change the meter over on the day we moved in, yet they didn't show, when we called them they said they didn't organise meters to be switched out, I stated I was told someone would be there sometime after 10:00 to do this, they again said they wouldn't do this and certainly wouldn't give a time, so I said then why do I have a letter from yourselves stating not only a time of 10:00 but that this is to switch the meter out to a credit one, anyway they said they'd get back to me, however with some luck I noticed a then Transco bloke just up the road, I had a word with him he came and switched the meter out, it looked fairly new, was set at just coming up to 0000, and was an imperial meter and not a metric one.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Nope,,its only in recent times that metric meters have started to be fitted...maybe 3 years or so..

tarquinlinbin

The message from tarquinlinbin contains these words:

My 2001 meter is metric.

Reply to
Guy King

Of course. That's why I used the word *average*!

Jake D

Reply to
Jake D

Interesting - thanks.

Jake D

Reply to
Jake D

So it has. And it's not as old as it looks. Mine reads hcf (same as what they bill me for).

Jake D

Reply to
Jake D

The message from Jake D contains these words:

Yeah, but I was pointing out that the range either side of the average is likely to be so large that the actual value of the average is going to be of little use as a pointer to how much is to be expected in your particular case.

Reply to
Guy King