Eurostar woes

I don't think the tunnels are cold they have an awful lot of heat being pumped into them from the trains passing through and no where for it to go. If condensation was a problem how come a cold train doesn't suffer the problem? Even a cold wet from rain trains don't appear to. And I'm sure there will have been times past with really cold snowy trains entering the tunnel and not breaking down. Don't underestimate the abilty of powder snow to penetrate, it's almost "if air can get through so can powder snow".

As for the snow not being a problem have a look at the end of this story:

body refers to "condensation" rather than snow melt but when have journos ever been precise in their technical descriptions?

Agreed, the suits have morphed from accountants to box tickers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why ?

You're only interested in what it does to the unit

Snow in its various forms has been around in it's various forms since before mankind was around

Reply to
geoff

Of course, but these are extreme circumstances which require extreme solutions

The whole point is that they are not providing any sort of travel between capitals, let alone "fast"

The bottom line is that there are thousands of people who are not in the place they have paid to be. Fast or slow, they need transport

Yeah - and my s-i-l should be returning to belgium today - its not going to happen

Reply to
geoff

There is no rule to say that threads have to be on topic

once you've been here a bit longer, you might get the hang of it

its a community for which very little is off-topic

Reply to
geoff

What can't you see regarding complete failure of a system which doesn't have the luxury of time to fudge a design (which it seems that they have done, now that the conditions have changed).

They needed to be able to get people across the channel within 24 hours of the problem happening, not poncing around for a couple of days making a lash up which is too little too late and no longer required as conditions have now changed

Reply to
geoff

Yes you are

its an unforseen emergency situation, not a long term solution

an urgent requirement to get people to where they need to be,

Reply to
geoff

But making a radical change to how the system works after the one failure which may never happen again is plain daft - if it compromises the performance or viability of the system. It's a 'something must be done' approach so beloved of politicians, and a gut reaction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please give an approximate idea of the costs involved. I assume you've thought this through, given you're so confident it's a good idea?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I remember the crash, but hadn't seen the accident report. Most interesting. It just goes to show, no matter how many things a design team caters for, there's always another gotcha waiting around the corner.

I think we're talking about two different conditions here. The ATR crashes were due to icing conditions in flight, not snow on the wings on the ground. They were flying through freezing rain.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

So, presumably, you've worked out what it's *actually* cost them in immediate lost revenue, compensation, and lost future business and goodwill?

Reply to
Roger Mills

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Oh, ffs. Look, if they'd had the brains to take into account that sometimes a train or two might get buggered they could have made it simple for a heavy hauler to attach to the front and carry on the service with a minimum of disruption to the paying public while they sort it out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

the meantime - holy shit
does a driver know if he's just lunched a ped?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I preferred

Andy Burns

It makes you wonder why the computer doesn't issue a warning if it is having to fly with its control surfaces near the limits. In normal flight it should hardly ever have to do so. To have to do so is an error condition that any decent engineer would have noted and reported. Never trust a software engineer, they can't think! I learnt this decades ago.

Reply to
dennis

I expect they have lots of spotters out, all in radio contact with each other and the driver...

Reply to
Jules

He doesn't hence the sounding of horns... I'm coming, I can't see and I aint stopping.

many here have snow blowers come past their homes though:

of the current individual drifts are up to the 4' size but not, yet, the solid bank of snow like in those pictures.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I could certainly make a guess on the costs of changing locos to take the trains through the tunnel. And how that would implicate travel times. All for a once in a blue moon situation. As regards future lost business both planes and ferries regularly get badly delayed by weather. Doesn't seem to stop them being used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Documentary about that one showed the snow stream going red.

Clive George

The weather causing the disruption makes a pleasant change to the disruption that is usually caused by the French going on stike.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth