European sockets on an extension lead?

Would it be acceptable () to wire a UK fused spur box (?5A fuse?) with an extension lead having Euro 2 pin and/or Schuko sockets? Are acceptability as regards safety and regulations two separate questions? Would an RCD on the spur box be a wise or necassary precaution if the ring main has one? (The purpose is for visitors from the mainland :) to use their appliances in this room without adaptors)

Reply to
gaylers

Why not just fit the extension with a 13 amp plug and suitable fuse? You can screw it to the wall and clip the flex to the wall if you're worried about neatness.

Reply to
Rob Morley

MK do a range ("EDGE") in which you can have a long faceplate with all euro sockets and datacomms on one nice plate.

Have a look at :-

at page 3

Reply to
Tim Morley

Shuko sockets are not shuttered. So I don't think it would be wise as a permanent arrangement, Why not get them to bring along a 4-way extension lead of their choice, and put a 13A plug on it?

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Who was it that warned on this ng that this sort of thing would happen post Part P ?

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

If you mean "will it conform to UK regs?", then answer is No. A standard multi-way Schuko socket block with the plug replaced with a 13A plug would be better in terms of regs, as it's then not part of the fixed wiring.

ISTR CPC have a special offer running on Schuko socket to 13A plug adaptors in one of their leaflets, but I don't have it handy to quote the price and part number.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Umm, they are in Italy/Germany.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't *think* it's part of the DIN 49440 standard.

If our Swiss factory runs out of the BS1363 UK convenience outlets we buy from RS and send them, they fit a Shuko surface mount socket which has the mains contact accessible. We had a UK hospital threaten to reject a £23k half ton machine for this reason. A 4 way adapter strip our French supplier sent us to set up an exhibition also wasn't shuttered.

I see some Shuko sockets being offered (but not in the UK) with "Child safety protection" which could well refer to shuttering.

I have to say I don't like them, because they're unpolarised. It really is worth knowing whether the blue or brown core (in the flex) is referred to ground and which is up at 230 ac. For type testing to EN60601 purposes TUV recommended we equip our machine with a very expensive double line sensing overcurrent limiting mains switch just because the Shuko plug/socket combination was reversible. The recommended one had already been tested by them, otherwise we submit samples and they start doing lifetime tests at our expense.

This heralded in the £191 mains switch. :-(

DG

Reply to
Derek ^