Eurolock / Yale

Hi

I really want to convert a eurolock-fitted external door to a yale type action, ie for it to lock autmatically when closed, and open as normal with a key.

Can it be done, are such units available anywhere?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I have bought locks from this company, they have an extensive range, may be able to help.

Ed Rear

In article , N. Thornton writes

Sounds like you want to retain the mortice fitting?

I have been looking for a high security nightlatch action with an option to deadlock, ideally with a separate deadbolt, but it's been difficult. For me, mortice fitting will be by far the strongest and a conventional key the best.

I've found: Chubb 3R35 - nightlatch action only which can be deadlocked, uses standard mortice type key. Latch is beefy but only has a 10mm throw, not enough in my view. It is has a high security detainer mechanism, but is HUGE - a 150x80mm case. Often used in fire escape doors. (~100quid).

Assa High Security Eurolock - Unsure of code - One of the locks in this range is a sashlock where the key can be used to retract the latch from the outside. That means that the outside handle can be omitted and the door opened with the key. Also has a separate deadlocking bolt. Problem is that it appears only the 'escape' lock can use the key to open the latch. 'Escape' means the door can always be opened from the inside without a key. I would overcome this disadvantage by fitting a separate BS 5 lever deadlock to the door too. Another con is that it is a eurolock (poss avail as oval too) so security is less than a true mortice, but is rated DIN level 4.

Have also found quite a few other nightlatches which are mortice key operated but none that I have considered seriously as the latches appear too flimsy.

I'm still looking . . .

HTH

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

It's an Assa Euro 8725 Escape Sash Lock - I'm scared to get a price . . .

Reply to
fred

This isn't possible. It is the act of lifting the handle before locking that engages all the security bolts. You'd need to have some sort of motor to do this otherwise. You can get versions that go onto latch when closed and need a key from the outside. However, they are not security locked unless you lift the handle and turn the key.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Aha, that sounds like a nice improvement. I dont know what terms I'd search for, or what suppliers to trawl, do you?

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

No idea. I've never bought one, only used them. Having been through a load of rented houses, I'm pretty sure I've had a house with every combination of locks possible!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle