Eurolock standards

Hi

Whats the situation with eurolocks, BS standards and insurance? Are they to BS? European standards? Whats the deal here?

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If you are referring to Euro cylinders, they must be six pin, keyed externally and internally with a bolt through security escutcheon, personally I wouldn't use the screwfix junk even if they did do them in six pin. I've fitted them in some places where the fire safety people insist on a thumbturn on the inside for easy escape in the event of fire & the insurance company insist on them being keyed on the inside for security reasons, you can't please everyone.

Reply to
Ron Ireland

Thanks Ron, just one bit I didnt understand:

Could you explain?

Cheers, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

They are rings that surround the ends of the cylinder, the outer one is held by bolts through from the inside. without them the cylinder can be snapped in the centre weak point by bending it back and forth (maybe I shouldn't have told you that on an open forum :0) I'm assumig you're not talking about the multi point locking system on most new UPVC doors. They are a bit of a grey area as I understand though I believe most insurance companies accept them as OK.

Reply to
Ron Ireland

ahh, gotcha - its got security escutcheons then.

it is one of those, yup. Are they a problem with insurers?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

IIRC from when I chatted to our local locksmiths recently Euro locks can comply with BS whatever (3621?) but the lock+cylinder as a whole must be comply: you can't have just a BS-compliant lock or a BS-compliant cylinder.

However I haven't looked at the standard so this may be scrota :-)

The bottom line is it gets £expensive :-(

And apparently cylinders with a thumb-turn on the inside don't comply. Pity as they're nicer for fire safety.

Reply to
John Stumbles