EU Eco Design Directive - Energy saving pumps

I've just been reading up on the above as part of some college work, some of you may know that all replacement external circulating pumps had to be high efficiency from January 2013.

In 2015, this will also apply to the integral pumps found in combi/system boilers, some manufacturers have already starting putting high efficiency pumps in already.

However from 2020, it will will also apply to the /replacement/ of integral pumps in /existing/ appliances, now some appliances, like my boiler for example which was installed in 2008 will only be 12 years old in 2020 and it came with a standard efficiency pump...this means that, if the pump was to fail, the boiler would have to replaced unless the manufacturer released a new modified high efficiency pump! My boiler was just an example, it was on sale with the same pump until end of 2011.

Surely this is madness?! Replace an entire boiler which may well be in perfect working order just because a high efficiency pump isn't available?

See:

gremlin_95

Not to mention the giant Eurocratic "woosh", that energy "wasted" by a circulating pump in a heating system goes where exactly?

Reply to
John Rumm

Though it could make a bit of sense if the pump is used for hot water in the summer. A crappy, old, inefficient pump, against shut TRVs, on much of the day, could actually use quite a bit of electricity.

Maybe changing the pump isn't the optimum approach, but perhaps not as brainless as it initially appears?

Reply to
polygonum

Of course its mad, its the law on energy conservation.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No, usually much simpler - bribery. Most Eurotwaddle laws are the result of someone, usually a manufacturer with a product to sell, bribing the appropriate people to introduce the appropriate laws to help their profits.

Reply to
Peter Parry

finally the penny is dropping....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It goes to waste.

Would you seriously argue that CH pumps are typically located in a 'sensible' place for space heating?

Reply to
Jim Newman

In theory it's not a gas/combustion related job, so you could tackle it yourself if need be an no-one the wiser, unless you're worried about about a dawn raid by the Boiler Gestapo.

The whole EU concept is madness, just vote UKIP on May 2nd.

Reply to
Arty Effem

Generally, yes.

They are frequently cooled by the water they pump. They are often in airing cupboards etc.

Either way, no matter how inefficient they may be, forcing the replacement of an entire working high efficiency boiler due to a legislated non availability of a replacement part has no ecological benefit whatsoever.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed, if you can't sell a product on its own merit, lobby for legislation to force its adoption. Sawstop anyone?

Reply to
John Rumm

That's because most of it is driven by the industry, not commonsense. How many people put additional heating in their kitchen when the boiler's changed for a more efficient model? Why do we keep on paying people to have an unlimited number of babies, when population growth is the real threat to the world's resources?

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

yourself if need be an no-one the wiser, unless you're worried about about a dawn raid by the Boiler Gestapo.

+1

Whatever their shortcomings and your personal persuasions, the EU issue outstrips them all.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Ours is in the *airing* cupboard!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well, I'm sure by then we will be out of the Eu if it exists in any case. One has to ask the question though, with all the push on efficiency over the last 10 years, why don't the manufacturers already have these in their equipment as standard?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

These days they tend to be in the boiler and contribute very little high grade heat to the system.

They can be used as anti frost heaters though.

Reply to
dennis

My system has had one for at least five years, I don't remember exactly when I fitted it so it may be longer.

Reply to
dennis

Think it through a bit more. Just where does it "go to waste"?

Would you seriously argue that CH pumps are typically located in a outside the habitable areas of houses?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

My pump is _heated_ by the hot water it is handling. If I was concerned about the odd few watts I'd lag it - then it would warm a little more, then dump its heat into the water.

But as it's in the airing cupboard ICBA.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

yourself if need be an no-one the wiser, unless you're worried about about a dawn raid by the Boiler Gestapo.

+2

Hopefully in 2 years time the other lot will have got the message.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Why would the pump be on during the day? Surely it would only be on when there was a demand for heat(*) and the system was fully pumped? If it's on with out a demand for heat that is a control system problem not a pump effciency one.

How much less electricity does these high effciency ones use? A pump is only around 100 W anyway and it still has to do the same amount of work in circulating the water. They are also simple. How do you increase the effciency? Add some electronics? Electronics that consume energy in manufacture, will all that extra energy be matched by the savings?

FFS KISS.

(*) And any pump overrun of course.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice