Ethernet cables

They even sell them in poundstretcher and asda, but toolsatan are cheaper, but not as cheap as online.

Reply to
dennis

That's where I get mine. Usually as a top-up to an order that's not quite £45!

Reply to
Bob Eager
[Nothing]

Paul,

Stop relying under the sig seperator - most newsreaders remove all that text. I expect you're posting through Google, which is the problem - get a proper newsreader.

But thanks for the suggestion - now I come to think of it, I've used Videk before and had completely forgotten.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, I code by length too (but different colours, although the shortest ones here are also grey).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think we code by subnet too. In that staff might be one colour while the = studetn net is on another. But recently all newr cables are purple which me= ans they go to our new faster hub switch that;'s on 1GB link rather than th= e previous 100MB. All our wireless networks use invisble wire ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 12:28 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Doesn't seem to... Even my laptop can auto reverse its wiring which is very handy for jacking it straight into kit for diagnostics (usually the management NIC on random SANs and stuff).

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's mildly interesting. Traditional GPO patch cords with a tip-ring reversal were also colour-coded yellow.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Look at the header of his message he's posting via eternal september.

Using "Microsoft Windows Live Mail 16.4.3505.912" yeah OK get a proper newsreader. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not here, costa feckin fortune I really ought to investigate changing to a single business POTS line with Total Care and get something VOIPy for the MSN's we use.

Donno but having the reserved colour means that if something doesn't work mistakenly having a cross over cable in circuit is not the problem. Also means if you need one you can find it in the box of 50 others... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My day job is not that far removed from telecoms... Blue screened, red unscreened IIRC as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

YMYA

Reply to
Lobster

At home, mostly grey, although blue uberflexy cables for leaving behind the sofa :-)

At work:

grey: standard CAT6 ethernet red: emergency (emergency phones in lifts, temp sensors for BMS etc. Remove one of these at your peril :-) black: management (LOM, iLO, SNMP from aircon, ups etc) purple: Wierd shit. Check before fiddling. Sometimes crossover, sometimes carrying many vLans for loadbalancers or something odd like cluster heartbeats or private IP ranges that might clash. All numbered and recorded yellow: serial (old Suns, not a lot left now) orange: storage (iSCSI mainly) pink: dirty network. Used mainly in our offices to show that the cable is connected to untrusted network (student, visitor, whatever)

That's in theory anyway. In practice a lot of grey ones get used as we've thousands of them and they are always to hand :-)

Colour coding different networks etc is a nice idea, but not really workable when you have a class B network :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I thiught: I use purple for weird shit too. Then I realised I'd copied a certain employer...

Reply to
Bob Eager