Ethernet cables

Where do you buy yours? I especially want the ones with boots over the plugs to stop the retaining clips from catching on things and breaking off.

Reply to
Huge

Andy Burns

Kewl, thanks.

Not worth making my own for those prices.

And such pretty colours!

Reply to
Huge

Almost anywhere. Used to get them from IIRC blackbox or Nimans.

These days they seem to adorn every PC/TV retailer in any high street

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

on which colours to get now there's a real problem,, finding one that matches the scatter cusions and the curtains without clashing.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yeah, at about 15x markup

Reply to
Andy Burns

Those guys seem to have a £30 minimum order value. You can also get these leads on Amazon at similar prices, but maybe without the boots.

Reply to
GB

On 30/01/2013 11:36, GB wrote: Ebuyer do the snagless ones as well, at about the same price.

Reply to
Lee

CPC, occasionally Toolstation if I need some and I'm going anyway.

The mainstream retail sheds have them true, but at a price. Fine for a distress purchase of course...

Colours?

Red - Main WAN connections - don't fiddle unless you want people shouting at you for loss of the internet. B-) Blue - ISDN. Yellow - Crossover aka "phase reverse".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They'll also sell you the boots

Man at B&Q

Grey short Blue 3 metres Red 5 metres White 10 metres Yellow short phase reverse Black VoIP

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Red servers Yellow desktops Blue phones Green printers Orange DMZ Black SAN White ILO Violet internet Grey ISDN/RS232

Reply to
Andy Burns

so handy if buying ready made cables ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's OK, I want to rewire the study anyway.

The boots are a requirement - that's why I'm doing this.

Reply to
Huge

Dirty side of the firewall.

Demised several years ago.

Does anything much care any more?

Reply to
Huge

Dave Liquorice :

All different.

In the back of my network switch are black, grey, yellow, blue, red, purple, orange, pink.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 10:31 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

CPC are usually good on price.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Where do you buy yours? I especially want the ones with boots over the plugs to stop the retaining clips from catching on things and breaking off.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

I find the ones with "humped" tabs either side of the clip are nicer to use than the booted type. Unlike the boots, the tabs don't make it harder to operate the clip when unplugging.

Reply to
John Rumm

Almost always have some on offer in their leaflets. Loads of different types, styles, etc.

Never bothered to compare prices, as they're so cheap anyway, and usually tagged onto an order for other things.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel