Estate Agents Fees

Hi,
We had our property on the market with a local high street estate agent for 8 weeks and did not renew the contract but they continued to market it.
They got a buyer for the property, but then the buyer had difficulty arranging their finance. The buyer then got a relative to purchase the property which all went through.
I would like to know whether I am still liable to pay the Estate Agents fee even though the relative was not introduced or in contact with the Estate Agents.
Regards
Murras68
You may be better off asking this in uk.legal
HTH

I seem to recall that my selling contract would revert to a standard one after the initial "sole vendor" part ran out (as was not renewed). This could have been expensive as the fee would have risen from 1% to 2.5%.

I suspect so, but read the contract. It should say in there.
Christian.

Was the contract for a fixed 8 weeks, requiring some action to renew/continue, or was it for a minimum of 8 weeks, after which you could terminate it by some means? As an estate agent, I would guess the latter if you read it carefully.

Whatever the contract says, they have fulfilled their obligation and, if you dont pay them, you might find that the principle of "what goes around, comes around" applies, if not immediately, then eventually.
--
Richard Faulkner

Steve wrote:

Yes, the buyer found out about the property through the estate agent, albeit indirectly. Agents are very alert to any kind of fee avoidance and if they know about this you can bet they will want their cut. e.g. if orig vendor and relative have same surname I would think they are bound to find out.