Essex Flange fitting Q..

Just a quickie - I'm going to fit an Essex flange[1] in the Hot Water tank (and I guess it's also suitable to fit in the cold water tank too?) for my new pump - What size hole do I need to drill in the tank, and whats the usual way to do it neatly? I guess a hole cutter of some sort? Are they all a standard size?

Cheers,

Gordon [1]

No. 7559)

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Ah, don't worry. More net searching and I found:

which seems to have it all!

Cheers

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I would have thought that it was an overkill (and even undesirable!) for a cold water tank. AIUI, an Essex flange is designed for "blind" installation - where you can only get at one side - and also has an internal extension tube.

If you are taking a cold feed for a shower from a cold header tank, just use a normal tank connector, fitted as low down as possible (preferably below the cold feed takeoff which goes to the hot tank). You positively *don't* want an internal extension, and - assuming the header has an open top - you can fit the connector from the inside of the tank - with the nuts on the outside.

Reply to
Set Square

Indeed... It just seemd easy (at the time) to order 2... I didn't though...

After a more thorought investigation of the plumbing in my house, I found that there were actually 2 (22mm) take-offs from the cold water tank - One goes to the bottom ofthe HW tank, the other goes directly to the bathroom (via the airing cupbpard) So hopefully it'll just be a matter of splitting this in the airing cupboard where I'm going to fit the pump.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

The shower pump is really supposed to have a dedicated cold feed rather than one shared with other things. However, if it's only shared with the bathroom, and the shower is over the bath in the same bathroom - so that the taps are unlikely to be used at the same time - it will probably be ok.

Is the toilet fed by this same feed - if so, you *could* have a problem if someone flushes the toilet while you are using the shower. [Anything which can cause a sudden reduction in cold flow - with a consequent increase in mixed temperature - is a potential scalding hazard].

Reply to
Set Square

The cold feed tothe bathroom from the tank is (as far as I can tell) all in 22m and goes to the bath taps only. There must be a T in the 22mm pipe for the sink taps which come out of the floorboards on 15mm pipes (I'm going to investigate this later today) I want pumped bath taps and don't mind the sink being pumped either - I'm fitting a thermostatic mixer bar thingy which claims to keep the temperature to within 1.5C ...

No, the toilet is on mains which comes into the bathroom from a totally different direction, and this mixer bar says it'll keep the temperature to within 1.5C, so heres hoping ...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson