ESP "Infinite" Wireless Burglar Alarm

Just bought one of these wireless alarm systems from TLC Direct

I went into a local electrical shop for something else, saw this system and it came very highly recommended as being an excellent system and

*very* easy to install - no experience necessary said the guy in the shop. I was interested and started doing some research then found the same kit for £100 less at TLC. However, I'm beginning to regret that because if I'd stayed local, at least I could have gone back for advice. Ah well, such is life :o(

Anyway, the problem....

The kit comes with 3 wireless PIRs and none of them seem to detect movement. Each PIR has a jumper that can be set to "walk test" mode and there's a red LED that should come on when movement is detected. About every 4 minutes the LED flashes twice as the PIR sends an "I'm alive and here" signal back to the control unit but it just doesn't light up when you move.

The control unit is in the hallway with the zone 1 PIR mounted above it and the unit reports Zone 1 PIR as signal strength 9, status OK. Zones 2 & 3 PIRs are reported as signal strength 7, status OK.

As I said, none of the PIRs do anything except their 4-minute "check-in" with the control unit. Seems strange that all 3 should be faulty but that's what it looks like, unless anyone here can put me right.

Cheers,

John.

Reply to
John

To be more precise, I have the system set to "chime" when a detector triggers until I get it all installed properly and while I was typing out my original post the hallway detector was triggered twice. It seems that the detectors *will* detect movement, but only *once* in the 4-minute period between "check-in" signals.

John.

Reply to
John

I don't think the LEDs do light up when they detect movement on these in the same way as some other types do that light up like a christmas tree every time (probably because the alarm supports covert detection and reporting when using it in "monitored" mode. However in walk test mode you ought to be able to trigger each sensor quite easily.

One thing I got cought out by was my friend installing the PIRs upside down! I have to admit they do look more "natural" when the wrong way up

-but it did mean that they were looking primerily at the ceiling. Once we turned them over it worked much better!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the reply John. I thought, "That's it. It's gotta be"..... but unfortunately it wasn't - or at least, I don't *think* it was. It did seem to make a big difference to the walk test and I got all excited, but when I tried it for real (system fully armed, 60 second exit countdown), I could open the front door, walk up to the PIR and wave my hand in front of it without triggering the alarm.

More head scratching, methinks.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John

Try it again without the front cover on the PIR. If that works then you need to slide the module inside up or down on its elongated hole fixing. I found they are quite sensitive to the position (it is an adjustment that again allows variation of the down angle (and hence range) they cover)

Reply to
John Rumm

Lets hope any burglers you get, are on crutchs then ...;-)

Dave

Reply to
gort

It would have to be a *very* rough neighbourhood to get more than one every four minutes though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

LOL, I can think of a few....

Dave

Reply to
gort

I have a similar system (Response) which has been very good for the last about 7 years.

On mine.....

The walk test on mine illuminates the LED so you can explore / adjust the detection area.

The LED does not illuminate in normal mode ( battery saving I guess)

Only one transmission is sent per 30 seconds approx - the unit is "bled - charged" slowly, so when the room is occupied, only one transmission is being sent every 30 seconds - again a battery saving measure I am sure - however, after 30 seconds of "no movement", a transmission is sent immediately on movement detection and the alarm will trigger if active - possibly after a pre-settable entry delay of 10/20/30 etc seconds so it may not appear to have been triggered instantly.

Hope that helps

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I believe the Infinite does similar sorts of things. It has the variable entry delay. It can also be set to raise an alarm ony after a sequence of triggers if desired (i.e. a pattern of triggers that would correspond to someone gaining entry and then moving room to room.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, Mr Rumm sir, I owe you a pint :o)

The PIRs were, indeed, upside down (what a silly design when they look more "natural" and in fact match the PIRs on my security lighting outside - and those of my neighbours alarm system when in the upside down position) and the beams were looking at the ceiling.

From help given from another source (the forums at

and from (eventually) reading and understanding the installation manual, it seems that the Infinite is designed that way. To conserve battery life in the PIRs (and, presumably, any other sensor compatable with the system) they only send a signal to the control unit every 4 minutes and not every time motion is detected.

In walk test mode (now that the PIRs are the right way up) the red LED triggers whenever motion is detected. As long as you wait 5 seconds before moving again, they will trigger again. In normal operating mode though, any movement may well be detected but the signal telling the control box that information is only sent once every 4 minutes.

So in summary, thanks John for telling me that the PIRs may have been upside down. Everything is now working OK. Trouble is, I can't help thinking that the whole bloody thing is now useless. If someone is watching me go out then they have 4 minutes to get in (quite do-able in some areas, believe me). Even worse, they could get in and get upstairs, do whatever they want for the next 20-30 minutes and only trigger the damn thing on the way out - or am I being paranoid? :o)

John.

Reply to
John

OK, so I'm a bit thick.... well, maybe a bit more than a bit :o)

Finally got it sussed. When arming the system you get the 30-second exit delay and as you finally move out of the door, the PIR doesn't report any other movement after that for the first 4 minutes. However, as soon as you open the door to re-enter after the initial 4-minutes, the PIR senses this and tells the control unit to start counting down the entry delay just as any alarm system should - happy bunny now. :o)

John.

Reply to
John

Marston's Old Empire is a current favourite! ;-)

BTSTGTTS!

I expect you are being a little paranoid. Although personally I would have a reed relay sensor on the doors (which trigger immediately) and use the PIRs as a second line of defence. That then allows use of the "perimeter guard" facility the alarm supports. Also note that although a PIR may only phone home periodically, each of them is not synchronised to each other, so in reality should someone enter a house and move through a couple of detectors they are likely to set off the alarm fairly rapidly due to at least one being close to its transmit time. You can also IIRC set the trigger pattern required for the PIR to make it more or less sensitive to false alarms.

Reply to
John Rumm