ES lamp base

I have an outdoor light, with an ES lamp base, that has an orientation that leaves every Dawn-to-Dusk bulb that I have tried pointing directly at the wall, with the result that it doesn't shut off in the morning, as it doesn't see the sun. Is there a simple item that I can buy that will change the orientation of the bulb? I envisage something like a fibre disc, for insulation, with a metal button in the centre, so that the bulb will actually see the sun? The wall faces due East.

Reply to
Davey

Put a normal CFL in it and use something like this.

Graham.

ES bulbs shoudn't be tight in the holder so just don't do it up as much. Usually there's the better part of a turn between making contact and fully tight so you should get 180deg easily. If necessary bend the centre contact up a bit more.

Failing that, a carefully positioned washer.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Can you get at the back of the ES base?? to be able to turn it around 180 degrees, might be a screw molded on the bottom and a nut, so simple to sort, might be

2 studs, and as long as they are parallel, you should be able to turn the base around,
Reply to
Gazz

Unfortunately, there isn't room. The cable comes out of the wall and goes directly into the fitting, and I don't want to add anything else that's not there already, for reason of aesthetics. It's an old house, and the fitting is suitable, an add-on would look out of place. But otherwise, thanks for the thought.

Reply to
Davey

That seems to have worked, thanks. I had just tightened it to a snug fit before. Now to see tomorrow if it functions any better.

Reply to
Davey

Thanks, but I have fixed the problem already. I haven't taken one of these apart yet, but this one looks very much molded in, and deep down, with lots of other stuff underneath it, restricting access. Next time (!) I have the same problem, I will try this.

Reply to
Davey

No more replies needed, thanks.

Reply to
Davey

A piece of kitchen foil at the rear to reflect the light onto the sensor?

Reply to
dennis

The light from the lamp?

Reply to