Eric Clapton gets CBE

Page 7 of 10
IMM wrote:

Which otherise would have been funded by taxes. The inability of your intellec to grasp basic points never fails to amaze.

I know, I've ben thinking that is an apt description of Tony Benn for year. 'Wanker' is another way of putting it.

No argument there.

Preying for it eh? I s'pose that goes with them being "hawk's" har har!
I know you are of the opinion that left-right politucs isn't dead, but believe me, it sure smells that way.
I can't see an ounce of difference between Maggie Thatcher and Tiny Bliar when it comes to out and out self delusion and egomania.

economic
Do you mean she never used it to pay the unemployed when her harebrained economic schemes naturally collapsed?

Our brainwashed washed Tories are still at it. Sad isn't it. You have nothing to gain by supporting them.

A right tithead she was.

Yes.
Get rid of the monarchy, aristocracy, the private school/Oxbridge power clique and re-distribute land and left and right will come closer together. Easy really.

You are mad.

writes

All bought with borrowed money because of 'low' interest rates. When did you last drive around Rural Devon or Somerset, or South Wales. Plenty of people having to make do with old cars there.

--
Andrew

They are not representative of the country as whole.

hardship
typical.

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 16:51:52 -0000, "Mr E"

That's fair enough - I was not actually referring to you, but to various politicians and city pundits who come on breakfast time TV and make sweeping statements about how wonderful it is to have low employment. Stated by people who have never had to suffer the indignity of unemployment. I don't think that applies to you as you have commented that others within your family have been through this.
I remember the days when I had a nice comfy 9-5 job with a major employer, never having had the experience I refer to. In those days I was a "smarmy git" who thought that those nasty unemployed people ought to get off their backside and find work. Little did I know what the system they were working with offered!
So when I first got made redundant (1995) I automatically believed that I just had to go down the job centre and sign on, and everything would be okay. I learnt very quickly that unemployment benefit and being treated sympathetically were not part of the unemployment scene, instead it was assumed by the job centre that I was unemployed because I wanted to be, and that it was all my fault that I was asking for money to which I had previously believed I was entitled to. My fault entirely I suppose - I honestly didn't realise that the money I thought I could expect actually came out of the personal accounts of job centre staff.
I don't have sympathy for those within the system that know how to bleed it dry and who live off the system. But I do have sympathy for those who find themselves out of work through no reasonable fault of their own. They are treated very harshly by the job centre, at a time when their world is turned upside down trying to cope with financial demands they can no longer meet.
PoP
PoP wrote:

I suppose that the hard-nosed decision by those in power is that they should make it difficult to get unemployment benefit, because they assume that this will put off those who plan to 'sponge' off the system. However it isn't quite that simple, and I guess that those who are determined to make a living off others will be able to find a way to do that; while those who are genuinely in need are likely to be damaged by the experience of asking for help, and are likely to give up.
John.
Mr E wrote:

Precisely. The system is, and mostly always has been, broken.
If you aree interested in something a bit more radical try reading 'Instead of the dole' by Hermione Parker. She is/was an academic who proposed that the most efficient way to organise social security was simjply to give every man woman and child who are genuine residents a 'citizens income' ..not *quite* enough to live on, but almost. Then any income is simply taxes at - say - the 40% rate above that. The total tax take doesn't alter, but the poverty traps are eliminated, as are all means tests. It also can subsidise low paid work so there is no need of a minimum wage either. It also entirely dispenses with a huge bureaucracy that is engaged in working out whether or not someone is entitled to payments or not, thereby reducing the cost still further..bit of course it will throw loads of social security staff out of work but heck, its a crap job and they can always do plumbing. Or live off their citizens income.
Like the idea of also giving people copons for PRIVATE education and health, and thereby eliminating aother huge bureacracy that adds nothing to education or health care, and actually gibves people a real choice as consumers, it is of course anathema to both parties, since it essentially decreases their power base, and the size of what they manage. And gives power - in teh form of cash and coupons - back to teh people.
And that is the last thing they want, isn't it? To give up power.

[48 lines snipped]

Hear, hear.
Huge wrote:

Jeremy Paxmans book is really fascinatiing. Do you know, teh majority of pliticians - those who pontficate and pronounce on all weighty matters, have done nothing more exciting than being school teachers or sochul wurkahs? Even teh labour party has almost zero members from trades or manual work, and even the conservatives have almost zero members from top industrial management? They are all career politicians, and, a Jeremy points out the majoriy *arte earning more as MP's than they have, in any other job they have held*.
In short, its not about selecteing teh best and most skilled and lettng them have a crack at making sane descision, its a normal huerarchy of brown nosing career people, each greedy to get to the top and get their noises in the trough.
Its not the Lords that wants reforming, its the Commons.

This old idea that top industrial management only support the Tories. Get real please. During Thatcher many top industrialist supported Labour and SDLP policies. Many would keep shut as if you showed your true colours the gates would close on you and your company. A bad time for freedom under the wicked witch.

Churchill was a career political. he crossed the house twice in order to be where the power was. Today he would be in the Labour party.

Both, with the Lords totally getting rid of all hereditary and religious peers. The seat of government should be in a more central location in the UK, instead of the bottom right hand corner, with a parliament building(s) totally capable of running a modern government. For e.g., each member should have their own office and the chamber semi -circular with space for everyone. the current old chapel can't even accommodate all the MPs and is formed like cockpit which creates a rather farcical chamber and atmosphere. The financial centre and government are all in one location, which is not good for good government. Power is then centred in one spot, as in the UK, which has the press, finance and government all centred. The ignorance of the UK regions by the London national press is too plain to see. Many top countries split these up in separate cities. We have a lot to learn from other countries.

writes

You forgot JAG++, or maybe jag+=2

Diane Abbott ???

--
Andrew

Andrew wrote:

Now Now! she is a perfectly respectable politician. She is just in the wrong party, that's all.
Anyone can see she is an out and out Tory. Like our Tone. And Gordon Brown.

Brown.
If Tony is a "Tory", why do you hate him so much?

IMM wrote:

Because in the final analyisis they are just as stupid and venal as the average labour career politician. They usually display slightly more low cunning, and slightly more appreciation of te goose and golden egg analoagy tho.
I have never voted tory or labour in my entire life by the way.

Who did you vote for then?

IMM wrote:

I toyed with screaming lord Sutch for a while, and have occasionally voted liberal, but mostly, since it made piss all difference, I have not bothered wasting my time.

Figures.
Democracy is not a waste of time. People died to give you that right.

IMM wrote:

Oh indeed. Howver it works only when the vast mass of ignorant peasants finally realise how much they have been lied to and select a new liar.
One lone genius is better served in helping them, not adding to their stupidity...

"ignorant peasants". The snotty uniness is really coming to the surface.

A society works better when all pull together. Lone genius's don't make that much difference to the average man.

IMM wrote:

No, thats right. The developments that lead to atom bombs and microelectronics were all done by workers committees and teh great wurking clarrs right?
Not a lone genius in sight.
Ditto the jet engine, the steam engine, etc. etc.
Lets re-write history for IMM...