Erbauer drills 14.4V vs 18V?

Depends on the model of Ryobi, there are at least 3 different recent

18V models with the latest 1803 model having 55Nm max torque.
Reply to
StealthUK

When did you go to that? I wouldn't even think about this kind of scam.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you *really* believe that this is an *objective* view?

Some vague tests in a Car Mechanics magazine? What possible relevance does this have? Where are the figures of the tests?

The best buy JCB at £40? This is a joke.

Next week the team will be writing about sailing dinghies.

Do you seriously want to base your purchase criteria on nonsense like this?

Oh dear.........

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is one of the best tests I have ever read. Very good indeed.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I borrowed a 12V Makita 8411 from a friend a few years ago when we moved house, as most of my tools were inaccessible. I was very impressed with the hammer action and the torque for a 12volt drill.

I have used cheap battery drills like the Erbauer in the past and there is just no comparison, batteries don't hold their charge as long, the trigger switches don't operate smoothly, the chucks are rubbish and a good 12v drill always seems to have more guts than a cheap 18v drill.

In fact if you look at this site, they have a 24v drill that looks identical (apart from the colour) to the 24v Erbauer for under 50quid.

Kaiser

Will it fits in with your "Buy only the best and you won't regret it" tunnelled vision. Are you in any why related to Dimm, seems a certain indirect antonym personality trait. :-)

-- Mark§

Reply to
Mark

> ERB18CD

They have at least tried them all, have you? Your opinions are based purely on what you have read and a large dose of egotism; I get a strong feeling you are the wrong sort of engineer.

-- Mark§

Reply to
Mark

Dim Lin is a far eastern enchantress. Is Andy of Oriental extraction? He does go for Japanese made products.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It's exactly the opposite of tunnel vision.

Tunnel vision is buying purely on the basis of price and "features" as presented by the retailers which in reality have little value.

I've described a whole list of purchase criteria which go beyond price.

That cannot be decribed as tunnel vision......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Many of them, yes. I take a great deal of trouble when selecting a power tool especially. If I am going to spend a couple of hundred pounds on something, I research it carefully and try it out.

I don't just buy on price and magazine reviews. They are but a data point.

Certainly an engineer, but the right kind for my purposes.

I haven't said that my purchase criteria are appropriate for everybody. If price is the primary and only objective, then choices become much easier. If the overall equation is taken into account, then much more care is required

Reply to
Andy Hall

They also say of the £199 Bosch: "I'm afraid this is a case of BMW syndrome. Not only does this tool out perform most others in the group in torque output, it does it more smoothly and quietly. And the ergonomics are spot on too. It fits your hand like a glove, and the controls seem to find their way to the end of your fingers, as if by magic. two gears, 15 torque settings, 13mm chuck, hammer mode, two batteries and a fast charger ensure this is up to serious use."

So they're making exactly the same point to their readers that has been made on this group many a time, that real excellence is available but at a price. For some (I agree not all) people a £40 drill will be all they need. If I had owned a cordless drill in my car mechanics days it would have spent its time drilling holes for pop rivets and self-tapping screws, scarcely very taxing.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Great we are at getting somewhere, there are people on here that use tools for a living or are into serious house renovation, clearly for them a £40 jcb is a joke tool which probably would not last the day/week out. There are others that for whatever reason buy a battery drill to hang some shelves and then leave the drill flat and in the garage for 18 months and are disappointed that the batteries are now dead, ( my son-in-law a DeWALT) for them the JCB thing could be appropriate,. And various other in-between people were the quality of the tool should be matched to its use, and the size of their pocket. What I really disagree with is your inference that You cant drill a round hole in the correct place or Can't cut a straight mitre line twice Using anything other then professional/industrial quality tools, and anyone that does, must produce a lower quality job then you. But then go on to suggest that you can drill holes in masonry with a non-hammer battery drill ;-(

HTH :-)

-- Mark§

Reply to
Mark

> ERB18CD

Their opinion, which did correctly IMHO identify both the Mekita and Bosch at the top of the products tested and the Draper/Sealey at the bottom. In your extensive drill research, have you really been to Argos to try one of the JCB drills. ? ;) if so you do need to get a life....

-- Mark§

Reply to
Mark

We always were.

There is a spectrum, as you say. I have not suggested that one size fits all.

I have pointed out that total cost of use and ownership goes beyond purchase price and that it would be advisable to look at the whole picture. Then it's reasonable to decide which pieces of the picture are important.

I haven't said that at all. However, if one wants to drill 500 holes and put in 500 screws (and that is possible in a DIY project) then usability and quality can become important.

Depending on the type of tool and the application, that can certainly be the case. There are certainly examples such as planes, biscuit jointers, jig saws and so on where it absolutely is.

... and so you can. It is perfectly possible to drill holes in breeze blocks and non engineering bricks with a good quality non hammer battery drill.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There's no need. Just pick up anything else in any DIY store at the same price point. THey are all basically the same. When looking some while ago, I picked one up and put it down again, then went elsewhere. That takes very little time.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You have. and clear implications that anything that doesn't cost £200 can't do a good job and will break down every 2 weeks. Don't you feels ashamed, especially after the roasting by many you have received.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

One of the few cheep tools, and partly the reason I defend them is the £10 Chinese no brand planner I have. It not used that often and only out of my workshop for snagging bits, but its lasted over 2 years and not flown apart and decapitated me yet, and the funny thing is it's a carbon copy of the Makita 1923. With a £140 price difference.

Cheep ones are under powered and vibrate to much, people try to cut 30mm chipboard work-tops and then complain they don't cut straight, horses for courses apples here.

breeze blocks = masonry ! have you had your pinky removed ?

NO they haven't made bricks that soft for 200 years, try it on an ordinary common wire-cut fritten with a drill/hole larger then 4mm, again horses for courses apples here.

-- Mark§

Reply to
Mark

">Do you *really* believe that this is an *objective* view?

Your own words ! Tunnel vision ? Dimm similarities ?

(Although in this case I may have to agree

-- Mark§

Reply to
Mark

Totally and utterly disgust> but clearly his alterego

Phat ******* will be along? I can't wait.....

-- Doctor Evil

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I guess you mean the small electric planers? On that one I would agree wih you. I have had a similar thing costing a little more in the past. It was fine for doing certain rough jobs, which come up occasionally.

I wouldn't dream of letting a tool like this near any reasonable woodworking though, because they really are too rough to be useful. For that I have a woodworking machine which is a different thing altogether, but that is because I do woodworking as a serious hobby. It then happens that I can produce almost any size, shape or profile of timber that *can* be used for DIY. It wouldn't be considered a DIY tool by any stretch of the imagination.

I like to work with wood. Among my favourite tools to use are some Lie-Nielsen hand planes. I use them for specific purposes and sometimes just when the mood takes me. I take a great deal of care of them because they are beautifully made and they are not inexpensive. They are very, very rewarding to use.

Mmmm. It's generally poor mechanics and the blade holding mechanism. On the Bosch, motor control helps as well. You can run it very slowly.

Aboslutely not. Breezeblocks are very definitely masonry. So are light housebricks. They aren't wood or plastic, are they?

I have. It does work. I am not talking about making 12mm holes or anything of great substance, but for drilling a few holes up to about

8mm for fixing something to a wall, the small Makita does a perfectly good job.

If I want to do more substantial masonry work or more of it, then I get out my Bosch SDS Multidrill. That will do anything else that I need to achieve regarding drilling, apart, perhaps from dentistry.

Reply to
Andy Hall