Er..pardon?

Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Reply to
Davey

Nothing wrong with that, on the face of it. Non-genuine TV remote control handsets are often better than the originals.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I suspect they are covering themselves. When i used to use Strimmers I found the cord was in all sorts of colours from the local shop, and only the b/d was the original colour, but more expensive. Cannot say I noticed much difference, it all went bad if you left it in the strimmer over a winter with bad frosts. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The latest linguistic shift, loss of brevity and belief in mandatory redundant verbiage. Everything has to be "quality" - maybe it was one of the endless dictats from NuLab?

Reply to
Scott M

And it still doesn't say of what it is non-genuine. It might mean that it is non-genuine manufacturer's product, but it doesn't say that, despite having lots of words.

Reply to
Davey

So I could carve a piece of plastic to resemble a TV remote control, and it would possibly work better than a genuine remote control?

Reply to
Davey

These days the expression "knock-off" is often used to mean a copy of the original, but to my ears knock-off means stolen.

Reply to
Graham.

Mine too. And besides, here the expression used is 'non-genuine', which means 'fake'. 'Knock-on/off' can refer to spoked wheels, of course.

Reply to
Davey

Think of it as being like buying 'compatible' printer ink rather than 'genuine original'. Compatible ink is far cheaper and often just as good.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Agreed. But it was the use of the term 'non-genuine' that I was really querying. To me, 'non-genuine' means 'fake'.

Reply to
Davey

Isn't it only fake if there is some deception involved?

A fake tan is where someone applies a substance in order to pretend they have been on holiday in the sun and really expects to get away with it.

Whereas someone putting on an odd orange/brown gunge and knowing that everyone around knows it is entirely an artifice somehow doesn't qualify as fake. Even if everyone calls it a fake tan!

Reply to
polygonum

Don't be such an imbecile.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Manufacturers often tell us that their products and consumables are far superior to any 'copies'. Sometimes they are; sometimes they aren't.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On 18 Apr 2014, Bill Wright grunted:

Nah, cord's much better: I find the battery compartment of the remote tends to get clogged with weeds.

Reply to
Lobster

What does genuine mean? Bearing a particular manufacturer's logo? Traceable to his factory?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

IF that is what is claimed, yes; otherwise, who knows? Here, there is no claim as to what genuine means.

Reply to
Davey

So that's the problem! Thanks.

Reply to
Davey

TWST,WT?

I refilled my officially non refillable cartridge with a bottle of toner costing £6

Price of a genuine HP cartridge about £50.

Reply to
Graham.

I would have thought it was bleedin obvious... its a compatible replacement made by a manufacturer other than that used by the OEM. A pattern part if you like.

Reply to
John Rumm

I got off ferry in Kowloon when working in HK, to be approached by a guy with Arthur Daley like tact, opened his jacket and loads of watches all on show ... and his pitch was ... " not rubbish, not fakes, genuine copies"

Reply to
Rick Hughes