Epson Perfection 1670 lamb failed

Any one ever tried repairing an Epson Perfection 1670 scanner. The bulb (lamp) was only partly lit, on further inspection(taking it apart) i noticed the wire had become semi detached from the bulb. I tried to solder the connection back but nothing to attach left on the bulb to resolder to.

Where can i get a bulb. I guess i will need to solder the new bulb back to the wires or do the bulbs come with wired attached ?

Reply to
Exhausted

It won't be worth repairing.

JKL manufacture probably the widest range of CCFL's, but you probably won't find an exact match.

Andrew Gabriel

Silly question - but have you tried contacting Epson on

(or even co.uk)?

Last time I had a problem with an Epson product (albeit many years ago) they up came trumps with reasonably priced repair.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Is it worth bothering .Can u not get a replacement for a reasonable price ..there is one on Ebay at £35 BIN but it's pickup only for some reason.

Reply to
fictitious

from a scanner of the same size on freecycle.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I spoke to Epson, who don't supply parts, but recommended a number company's for Epson parts. If i can pick the bulb (Lamp ) up for approx £5 then a quick soldering will save a lot of money. The reason for the post was to see if someone had done this before and could recommend a specific lamp, OEM i.e not Epson badged and potentially increased in cost.

I was also interested to see if the bulbs come with the wires attached, as the rubber covers on the end of the bulb covers the solder joint,and the bulb at right angles so i can't see how they were fitted after the solder joint was made. Not a real issues for me as i will just cut off the offending parts to reveal the joints

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reply to
Exhausted

expected approx £5

Reply to
Exhausted

Which is exactly what I meant by "It won't be worth repairing."

Last time I bought a flat bed scanner, it was £15.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But he does want to repair it. Maybe it'll finally dawn on him to get a free lamp off freecycle

NT

Reply to
meow2222

nice idea. but none available

Reply to
Exhausted

What sort of scanned image quality did you get for £15?? what's the model?, can't seem to find any for less that approx 80

Reply to
Exhausted

or you could put a free notice in a local paper to ask for one or there soon will be one on freecycle, probably

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Plustek OpticPro 19200S.

I bought them for a project. I think I've still got two brand new ones in the loft as spares (no longer needed). They are SCSI scanners, bought at a time when commodity scanners were switching over to USB, but there was no USB scanner support in Unix at that time (on which they were used). They were used to scan invoices and email them off to the person who raised the original purchase order for approval, but ISTR their scanning resolution was actually very much higher than was needed for that -- they were the standard type of thing many people used to scan photos in to a PC.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Why? £5 would almost make sense if repairing these devices was commonplace, so that it was worth setting up a supply-chain and the volume drove the prices down a bit. However, a quick google on your machine suggests it's a bog-standard £20 USB flatbed scanner - nobody's going to repair these under normal circumstances.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

where did you see £20 there on sale for approx £100, If it were £20 i would not be bothering to even attempt a repair

Reply to
Exhausted

Just to close this off i have now seen the spares break down of the scanner and the lamp is not separate but part of the CCD module. So I finally give up time to get a new scanner.

Reply to
Exhausted