Epson Inkjet - apparently un-diy-able to fix ?

Hi Folks The old Epson C84 inkjet here threw a hissy fit this afternoon, just after I fitted a new magenta cartridge. Now flashes the red paper & ink lines alternately, won't light the green 'power' light and won't talk to the PC (or the 'Service utility' - which is reputed to fix things like internal counters).

General googling suggests that it's a 'Maintenance request' - which presumably means it should be taken out side and given a decent burial.

Doncha hate it when things just refuse to be diy-fixed ? Hate throwing (possibly) serviceable stuff away... 'Twas never like that on the old Amstrad daisywheels

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Do yourself a favour and get a laser next time.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

- got one already (Konica colour laser - very cheap!)

- which is probably why the Epson's sulking....

Just a couple of things the inkjet was better at - though it could be very 'fussy'.

Still suspicious it's not so much died as committed economic suicide.... grr!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

When my Epson printer (different model) showed similar symptoms and the same error message, it was the waste ink reservoir which was full. A local Epsom agent was able to reset it for a few pounds.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

That's OK if you live near Epsom! .-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reset it? Or empty the ink reservoir?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Everytime it cleans its heads, it dumps ink into a sponge hidden in the bottom of the case, it keeps a counter of how much of your precious ink it has wasted in this way, when it calculates the sponge can hold no more it throws a hissy fit ... better than leaking gunge all over your desk.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wow, a salty joke!

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Here is a useful site re inkjet repairs.

solution to your problem is likely to be on there somewhere because I've used it for my Epson ( different model ) - you just need to search the site.

There is a utility called Epson SSC that you can install to reset the counters. It does work.

HTH

Reply to
Booty

I think most do to be honest, they just have different ways of doing it. The ability of CPUs now to automatically kill off any long surviving machines isnt a good thing, and I daresay it will become common one day.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

At least it will run...

Reply to
Zhang Dawei

It did fall over just after doing ahead-clean - maybe that's it....

Unfortunately, at the moment, it won't even talk to the PC... when you hit the power button you get a green light for about a second then the two red lightd start flashing. The PC's USB recognises that 'something' has been powered up - but can't chat to the printer...

- eventually coming up with 'communication arror'

Epson site has a handy online utility that diagnoses the state of your printer.......and says

"Results of Printer Diagnosis Parts inside your printer require maintenance or replacement."

Bah!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Sounds like that might be the problem - Espon site has so far refused to show me where I can find my local Agent - lots of whizzy interactive maps and a few dead links - none of which help in locating help in Co Cork, Ireland....

...mind, I suspect that if they saw their printer with Compatible carts in they'd probably refuse to play....

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Took a look at the site but didn't spot anything ... I have the SSC Service Utility (V4.30) - which just says 'error - maintance request' (their spelling - not mine!)

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Does leave one feeling kind of cheated, though..... I guess that's the real annoyance - as I say, I have another printer, but it's the feeling that the Epson's been designed to stop working at some arbitrary point in the future and there's not much that the user can do about it.....

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

:

The user can quit buying that brand.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:39:35 +0100, "Stephen Mawson" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

A friend of mine placed his epson printer on a hotel room floor. It was in a bag and he did not place it upright. He awole in the morning to copious amounts of ink all over the floor, presumably from the waste ink reservoir. So ... would the same action get yours working again ?

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:17:23 +0000, Adrian Brentnall gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I downloaded a small prog from a Russsin hack site to overide the "counters" just for this purpose .... I never actually used it as the prob has not arisen .... yet.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Yes - I have that program - but it won't talk to the printer..... The Service manual - which is available here

to an 'Adjustment program' - (which sounds as if it's software that can be used to adjust / reset the values stored in eeprom on the printer.... )but doesn't tell you where to find the Adjustment Program...

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:53:38 +0000, Adrian Brentnall gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

There a few people having some success on this forum

P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st