Entryphone supplier?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a (good) supplier for a basic door entry phine thing.

Google shows up loads of stuff but I'm really asking if someone here has personal experience of such and can advise please.

I need to add another handset to an existing pair and upon inspection it seems like they have the basic connections inside like a std telephone (screw terminals marked 1-6) and the orig installer has tacked a (PTM) button on the top for the door release cct?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

TLC do what looks like a basic handset for 13.20 plus VAT. I'd guess if it doesn't do what you want directly it could be adapted. Part number DS DKP

Dave Plowman

"T i m" wrote | I'm looking for a (good) supplier for a basic door entry phine | thing. | Google shows up loads of stuff but I'm really asking if someone here | has personal experience of such and can advise please. | I need to add another handset to an existing pair and upon | inspection it seems like they have the basic connections inside | like a std telephone (screw terminals marked 1-6) and the orig | installer has tacked a (PTM) button on the top for the door release | cct?

An additional handset *must* be compatible with the existing, and whilst most systems work on a "4 common wires and one call wire per flat" basis, things like voltages and impedances vary widely. bpt in particular are incompatible with just about anything else.

If you can take photos of the handset and panel and put them on a website I or someone may be able to suggest.

Otherwise, try

or .com; they distribute all the major makes and will do credit card orders for individuals.

One warning: the panel at the front door (holding the buttons) might not be the same manufacturer as the speech circuit located within.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

hi, i like this stuff

burbeck

Thanks guys ..

I should have taken note of the make / model on the existing handsets shouldn't I ;-(

The TLC offering looks like it has the door release button *under* the handset because they also have a video camera overlooking the door they often release the door without any conversation. This was proveded by the original installers with a small PTM button at the top corner of the phone base (poorly soldered I might add) ;-(

The BPT one looks like it might do (subject to the technical stuff) .. ? Do these things normally come with a line cord or are they hard wired?

I can now also add there are also separate12V DC and / 12V AC supplies to this system (DC for door entry mech / phones / panel, AC for camera?). I helped my BIL extend the system today (some Cat5 and RG59BU) to allow for the new locations for the video monitors and phones and it's all still working! ;-)

All the best and thanks for your help so far ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

"T i m" wrote | I should have taken note of the make / model on the existing handsets | shouldn't I ;-(

Yes, and until you do we're not really much further forward.

| The BPT one looks like it might do (subject to the technical stuff) ..

If it's a BPT (or is it BTP I can't remember offhand) panel and speech unit, and power supply ...

| ? Do these things normally come with a line cord or are they hard | wired?

Hard wired. BPT and I think Entryphone provide adapter bases that can be used on a cord.

| I can now also add there are also separate12V DC and / 12V AC supplies | to this system (DC for door entry mech / phones / panel, AC for | camera?).

More likely DC for panel speech and camera, AC for the lock or some systems use AC buzzers in the handsets.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ok, thanks for the above and all noted.

So, the PTM switches 'switch' 12V DV (looking at the bunch of wires that are connected in what looks like a home made PSU box with a std

12DC PSU in there). So that might activate a relay in the door entry panel and that in turn switches the 12V AC through the door release solenoid?

I haven't traced (or measured) the PSU feed to the camera but it could well be AC. I have some pro CCTV cameras here that run from an low(ish) voltage AC supply and hence the guess?

Assuming I (we) can recognise the maker of the two phones (that are in parallel), could I just measure the 'line' voltage actoss pins 2-5 and see if it's 12V as suspected? If so wouldn't that be a big clue as to what was needed? (I havent been inside the door entry panel yet but didn't think I saw a mains lead going in there so assumed it was unning from one of the external PSU's?)

If they were running from 12V DC and in parallel wouldn't that tell us a lot (impedance etc)?

All the best .. and thanks again Owain ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Right,

Entryphone panel is "Fermax" with a NR-0225 intercom unit (PCB) and a NR-0457 door entry keypad (pcb). Both of the above run from 12V AC.

The little 14V, 70mA screw type bulb in there that illuminates the call button was dead.

The handsets are also Fermax (Ref 21100?) with a NR-208 board.

I suppose it would be good to go with some more of the same (we only need one more handset) but I'd still have to add the door entry button to the phone (no problem but would be handy if it was integrated and suitable (ie not common with any other electrics)).

All the best ..

T i m

I have photos of all the above if it would help anyone (my e-mail address is valid).

Reply to
T i m

"T i m" wrote | So, the PTM switches 'switch' 12V DV (looking at the bunch of wires | that are connected in what looks like a home made PSU box with a std | 12DC PSU in there). So that might activate a relay in the door entry | panel and that in turn switches the 12V AC through the door release | solenoid?

That's not uncommon, and avoids having the lock current running through all the internal wiring (the lock is comparatively high current and sensitive to voltage drop)

| I haven't traced (or measured) the PSU feed to the camera but it could | well be AC. I have some pro CCTV cameras here that run from an | low(ish) voltage AC supply and hence the guess?

I wouldn't have thought so, but nothing would surprise me.

| Assuming I (we) can recognise the maker of the two phones (that are in | parallel), could I just measure the 'line' voltage actoss pins 2-5 and | see if it's 12V as suspected?

Door entry systems aren't wired up like telephones. They usually have a common wire, a microphone wire, and a speaker wire, to all handsets in parallel, that connects to the speech unit, another common wire for the lock release button, and a dedicated call wire from each flat's button on the panel to the buzzer in the handset. It's not a standardised 2-wire interface like a phone line. Because of that you have to have the right microphone and earpiece speaker to suit the speech panel (some still use carbon microphones) and the right buzzer to suit the voltage.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"T i m" wrote | Entryphone panel is "Fermax" with a NR-0225 intercom unit (PCB) and a | NR-0457 door entry keypad (pcb). Both of the above run from 12V AC. | The little 14V, 70mA screw type bulb in there that illuminates the | call button was dead. | The handsets are also Fermax (Ref 21100?) with a NR-208 board. | I suppose it would be good to go with some more of the same (we only | need one more handset)

rather essential really. And Fermax do several different systems including

5&7 wire, Bus, digital and 2-wire cabling.

| but I'd still have to add the door entry button to the phone (no | problem but would be handy if it was integrated and | suitable (ie not common with any other electrics)).

With those details I suggest you email Safelink.co.uk asking them for a replacement handset and if there is a version with an additional button (these are sometimes made for stair lighting or porter call) that could be wired to release the lock. Alternatively it shouldn't be too much work to recess a push-to-make architrave switch next to the handset.

Owain

Reply to
Owain