Engineered flooring

We have a floor to lay on a heated screed. We've chosen the floor and now need to know the best way of securing it.

The first choice was the floating principle, laying it on 2/3mm underlay and gluing the tongues. A neighbour suggested that the natural movement in the floor will eventually select the weakest seam and begin to leave a more and more permanent gap there, an alternative expension joint perhaps. I'm not keen on gluing the floor directly onto the screed.

The suppliers suggested I look at this stuff;

anyone experience of this?

Reply to
Jeweller

I would have said floating was better given the heating cycles as long as the floor is on an underlay that aids sliding.

I have heard of bonding it down, but no personal experience - all mine are floating.

I disagree that glued joints are likely to fail if done well - I have seen "clicky" laminate work some tiny gaps before over a year but my clicky engineered floors have been fine over quite moderate temperature cycling - and one of those is heavily weighted down with wardrobes and shelves which does occasionally cause a very slight creak as you walk over it but is seems to handle expansion and contraction OK generally.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you go to UK Self Build faq there is a significant section on UFH and engineered flooring. (I wrote it)

I laid engineered Oak and very pleased with the product.

Your basic idea is correct ... use a 2/3mm closed cell underlay that has good heat transmission properties (not insulating) .... lay floating, and glue joints with quality PVA. Good tip is to fix in 3 or 4 strips first and, making sure it's fully scribed in and 2 & 3rd rows are absolutely square, clamp up with ratchet clamps and leave overnight.

Space off wall by 10mm spacers and then fit rest ... I would advise no more than about 1.2m depth each time before allowing glue to set.

Do NOT glue to screed... it will not suit UFH ...

I have had my Oak flooring down for 7 years .... no joints have opened, sprung or warped .... that is the beauty of engineered flooring it is dimensionally stable. Also if I ever want to re-finish it will re-sand at least 3 times.

Happy to take any questions by PM ... as I don't read group every day.

p.s. If you want a cheap set of ratchet clamps let me know ... finished with mine.

Reply to
Rick Hughes