Engine overheating

If I push my engine hard for any length of time, as on the upper reaches of the Llangollen in the tunnels, it develops an air lock in the top of the skin tank and overheats.

Might this be a sign of water pump trouble, or is it summat else?

Reply to
Homer2911

I'd be worrying about the head gasket, but I don't know anything about boat cooling.

Reply to
Rob Morley

??

Reply to
meow2222

Think logically, how is the air getting into the system? Head gasket is the most likely, get it tested.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I suspect this is boat in which case the cooling water is taken and returned to the body of water in which the boat is sitting. It could just be drawing air in through the intake or a partially blocked intake not allowing enough water flow and a low pressure darwing air through places it shouldn't.

I also suspect uk.rec.waterways would be a better place to ask.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't see how it could be anything other than boat. Lots of boats use a sealed circuit with a heat exchanger for cooling.

Reply to
Rob Morley

wrote

Skin tank=cooling tank/heat exchanger built/welded onto "skin" (boat metal plate in contact with water). Closed circuit: heat from engine is lost by transfer to water surrounding the hull. Takes the place of conventional air cooled radiator, or using water from canal/river/sea for cooling.

hth

Reply to
Gripper

head gasket then.