Energy saving linear halogen

I have an outside floodlight with a failed bulb. Removing the bulb to establish properties revealed it to be a 240V/300W 117mm linear halogen. Now going to my friendly electrical spares shop revealed that 300W linear halogens are no longer available (or at least not from them) and they are now 230W Energy efficient bulbs giving the same light output as a 300W Halogen.

Web research finds them here.

Now I can fully understand how fitting a halogen bulb in an old Tungsten GLS case like this

can provide energy savings, but in my case the original bulb was a halogen in the first place.

Can anyone tell me what is the technology in an energy saving linear halogen that allows them to claim the same light output as a "standard" linear halogen but at a lower wattage?

Reply to
news

The "technolgy" is called "marketing hype"

Reply to
charles

They're digital.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

One way..

thinner filament, runs hotter, more light per watt

shorter life.

Reply to
dennis

ROFL!

Reply to
newshound

True - its either "on" of "off" - That's digital :-)

Reply to
news

Given how very inefficient even 'halogen' is, can't be impossible to increase the light output. Probably by running the filament at a higher temperature. Which will also shorten the life. Thus killing two birds with one stone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your assumption that the light output is the same may not be the case.

However, the efficiency is better. The old one will be a D rating (or E rating if it was long life). They now have to be C rated.

There are a couple (at least) of technologies for improving the efficiency. The first one is to coat the inside of the tube with an infra-red reflective coating which reflects some of the heat back onto the filament. The second one is to use a different gas in the tube. The long life versions no longer exist.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's binary isn't it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Binary implies a counting system "on" or "off" isn't really a counting system.

There are 10 people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Digital implies a quantized as opposed to an analogue system. All binary systems are digital. Not all digital systems are binary. We count in base 10 - that's digital. Nothing to do with binary being a counting system. Some storage systems - notably the cheaper end of the SSD market use 8 or even 16 analogue charge levels to encode 3 or 4 binary bits of information per cell in order to increase capacity. The mechanism is digital, not binary.

Alan

Reply to
Andy Bartlett

There is onlyone way to increase the efficiency of any filiment lamp. That is to run it hotter which increases the visible light output. This reduces lamp life unless something can be done. Maybe adjust the amount of halogen in the tube?

Reply to
harryagain

infrared reflective coating.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

And what is a non linear Halogen then?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ordinary bulb-shaped one, like a car headlight bulb. The linear ones are about 5 inches long and a quarter diameter - like a miniature fluorescent tube.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

linear

"standard"

There's more chlorine halogen. From the Greek chloros for green so it's greener.

Reply to
Reentrant

capsule

NY

Reply to
meow2222

Well, its not my assumption, its a claim made on the packet.

Thanks to you (and others) for posting technical explanations.

Reply to
news

A friend who used to work for the Broads Authority habitually used the expression 'linear waterway' to mean 'river'.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I suspect he included canals in his definition.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris