Energy saving heaters - recommendations?

My mother insisted on an extra bell. It was probably audible whichever house you were in - let alone within a single house. She did this despite her tending to leap in the air the moment it started to ring and then getting all a tither.

Reply to
polygonum

636-1636 Call me:-)
Reply to
ARW

Totally dial.

And I learnt to "hook dial".

And we still kept the repeater bell box on the wall :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

And dialling auntie in Canada at Xmas would often entail retrying due to all the trunk lines to the americas being busy. Seem to recall there was a special engaged tone for that, but I'm not totally sure...

Reply to
Tim Watts

And there was a TV programme our way called "01 for London"

Tim Watts

;-)

I was working for BT when the 706 / 746 were still in service and although I didn't work for the 'phone' side of it.

Who ever had to have their BT phone replaced because it went wrong?

I wonder how many of us used any of these:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They are a bit modern! Go to the vintage phones on that site and the GPO300 looks like what I remember my grandparents having (though it might have been a more recent version). I was fascinated by the little drawer.

Reply to
polygonum

We're still standing up here at Sewage Farm View Apartments:

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yep - that's the one we had :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh yeah - and 40-50 years old and still working?

Says a lot for modern crap...

Reply to
Tim Watts

We had a Trimphone (posh).

However the bedroom extension was taken out to save on the rental (impoverished posh).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

;-)

The only time I remember seeing (and playing) with anything like that was at my Dads office in Leadnenhall Street. Lifts with the open metal concertina shutters, half glazed wooden doors with the company name hand painted on the glass, gas ring in the fireplace to make the tea on. ;-)

A real treat was us buying a box of ring doughnuts at a bakers on the way in. ;-)

It's amazing what entertainment a well equipped stationary cupboard offered a 10 year old in those days. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

With the tritium glow ring ?

Reply to
Tim Watts

There still is. Equipment engaged is different to subscriber engaged. Not that I've heard equipment engaged for a *long* time.

Reply to
Huge

We had one of those at home!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not specifically for trunk lines but Equipment Engaged Tone (EET) still in use although rarely encountered these days - 400Hz 0.4s on (first tone) 0.35s off, 0.225s on (second tone) 0.525s off (second tone at a different level to the first i.e. -16 to -19dBm (first tone) -10 to

-13dBm (second tone).

EET is easily confused with Busy Tone (returned when the called number is engaged) - 400Hz -10dBm 0.375s on, 0.375s off.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I don't remember - I don't think we knew that it was supposed to glow, so didn't look to see if it did.

It was a party line though so had the switch to press before dialling.

Kindergarten had a 300 on a shelf above the handwash sinks in the downstairs classroom.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I think I've got a couple somewhere. Certainly have a 741 wall mounted phone with real bells and proper dial. I don't think it's a

711.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Interesting trip back in time. When I moved into my first home in 1981 I had a compact phone poss

and (I think uncommon at the time) phone sockets in bedroom, hall and lounge -

1/4" jack plug.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

By a strange coincidence my flat had 3 rooms in light grey, brown, and blue colour schemes when I moved in, and I did think of putting the appropriate Compact in each room.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog