Energy Saving Gadgets

Do you think that argument would hold any water? lol. Fit a stat as usual so she can adjust and play with it to her hearts content, but wire it in series with a hidden stat that has a more sensible top limit on it. A stat that can go up to 30c may as well just be an 'on' switch. Now that gas is going up 20% thats just blown all the savings gained from energy saving materials and shiny new boilers.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

My SWMBO suffers from the thermostat thing, too. Might as well take it down and replace it with a Big Red Switch.

Reply to
Huge

Save your money, don't fit the switch. It would be permanently on.

I fitted TRVs and two separate zones with thermostats. Permanently on at rediculously high temperatures. Even the utility room is required to be at least 20deg at all times.

Reply to
<me9

En el artículo , Dave Starling escribió:

No need, it's mostly psychological. Stick a stat on the wall, but don't connect it up. She won't say a word.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes but she *knows* that turning the thermostat to a higher setting will cause the house/room/hot water/whatever to heat up more quickly!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Why, oh why, do they think this? I've explained it a dozen times to mine, and yet she still thinks the house/oven warms up faster if you turn the thermostat higher.

Reply to
Huge

The best energy saving gadget I ever had was getting rid of the wife. She used to put the heating on and then open a window when she got too hot.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My SWMBO'd doesn't suffer that but does leave the utility room light on. Turns it on to pass through, OK it is a bit dim in there but light enough, but doesn't turn it back off on the return journey.

No.1 Daughter does seem to think that setting a thermostat way beyond the desired temperature will make that temperature arrive quicker. Also has a tendancy to leave lights on.

The Lad just dresses according to how hot/cold he feels. Mind you he does get feet and hands like ice cubes before he'll find a pair of socks or jumper... Leaves some lights on but we have educated him about his bedroom ones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why would it need to travel through stone?

What possible reason could you have for wanting to turn off appliances in room A if you leave room B?

tim

Reply to
tim....

The blurb says that it does, and that it uses "patent technology" to achieve that.

I was wondering what basic method this "patent technology" was.

tim

Reply to
tim....

The delay time is settable between 5 and 30 mins, so turning off the TV after 30 mins is rather more sensible than 3. You don't leave the kettle and the toaster on for long periods, and they don't suggest using it for them.

But their estimates of average power consumption of devices seem rather high:

for an inkjet printer (when not printing)? 250W for a TV? (Plasma or CRT perhaps, but not LCD). 250W for a PC in idle mode? 1.2KW average for an iron (it has a thermostat).

For things like irons and hair straighteners I can see a point from a safety point of view (straighteners in particular being something of a fire hazard if left in contact with clothes or carpet). But essentially such devices should be better designed in the first place.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

For things such as this I'd recommend a count-down timer, they're quite difficult to find but they *are* available. I have half a dozen or so around the house for things such as:-

Soldering iron Heater in the study etc.

It's a godsend for the soldering iron in particular, for that I have a countdown timer that has settings of 20 minutes, 40 minutes and an hour. It's rarely that I want the iron on for more (and you only have to hit the button again) and, on the other hand, leaving it on is dangerous and ruins the bit.

Reply to
tinnews

In message , tim.... wrote

The patent is probably to do with the usage - using the PIR sensor to transmit to an on/off switch and nothing to do with the technology that makes a PIR sensor work, nor in the wireless link, nor in the switch itself.

Reply to
Alan

The Energy Egg looks like a PIR which switches things off when it doesn't detect anyone in the room.

I've seen things like this before and they can be really annoying. We used to have a similar system controlling the lights in or office and it wasn't sensitive enough to detect someone sitting at a desk so on winter evenings you had to get up and wave your arms around every 20 minutes. Similarly I can imagine sitting down watching some gripping thriller when the TV will suddenly go off and you will be plunged into darkness.

Reply to
Gareth

For the techie minded someone has posted the results of taking one apart at

Robin

appliances controlled by the "egg"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No need to make one; that's the amateur 70cm band. I have one on the shelf next to me...

Reply to
Huge

there is almost no difference in power between CRT and LCD actually.

Since te way of making the light is similar in both cases .

250W for a PC in idle mode? 1.2KW average for

well all the figures are bullshit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

when I built a lab in a new factory, we simply put a huge switch next to the light switch,. That disabled every single soclket in it.

No more 'did I switch the soldering iron off?'

Every room should have one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well it works with a pot on the stove so everything else must be the same. Simples.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb